Floaters

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 16 April 2008 7.18pm
We went on the Frog Tour a few weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed the trip and commentary. One thing that surprised me was the following fact- there average nine bodies along the stretch of the Thames. I understand how they'd get that figure- number of deaths over the years, time taken to reappear but that seems rather high. Is it a myth?
Wednesday 16 April 2008 11.33pm
Rather grimly, I had always understood the annual number of corpses recovered from the Thames each year within the Metropolitan Police district to be closer to 40.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2004/dec/15/features11.g2

I think it is many years since the mortuary in which the bodies were temporarily housed was a chamber under the north tower of Tower Bridge.
Thursday 17 April 2008 1.38pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3246
Lets hope this news item doesn't prompt Bermondsey St recent purchasers to jump off Tower Bridge or Empire Square residents to throw themselves off their ridiculously overpriced balconies.
I bought a house in Midship Close SE16 in 1987 when it was still a Plot number and got a discount from the Docklands Development Corporation. By the time the house was built in 1989 interest rates had started to rise and it was in negative equity in 1990. When interest rates rose to 15% I sold at a loss. Didn't like the area anyway but learned a valuable lesson. Whatever you have, spend less.
Thursday 17 April 2008 2.03pm
Lang Rabbie wrote:
Rather grimly, I had always understood the annual number of corpses recovered from the Thames each year within the Metropolitan Police district to be closer to 40.

That seems closer to the mark to me. Sadly I've witnessed at least 3 suicide / suicide attempts on London bridges since moving here.
Thursday 17 April 2008 7.51pm
I have friends who live on the canal boats at Tower Bridge and can confirm it's a fairly regular occurrence.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: