tower bridge closure

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 31 October 2003 10.55am
anyone know what was up at tower bridge this morning?

Jai
Friday 31 October 2003 11.28am
FROM THE EVENING STANDARD

Protest on bridge hits commuters

Commuters travelling to the City faced traffic chaos this morning after a man climbed 100 feet up a crane in protest over fathers' rights.

Police were forced to close Tower Bridge during the start of the rush hour, which was expected to cause extensive congestion around the area, as they attempted to coax the man down.

Varkenslachter
Saturday 1 November 2003 11.48am
It still doesn't make any sense why they needed to close the bridge - it was only some chap up a crane - I can't see how he was a danger to traffic, or how traffic was a danger to him.

Not that I'm bitter after having to get out of my cab at London Bridge and having to walk to Shad Thames as there was so much traffic last night congestion....
Jai
Saturday 1 November 2003 7.53pm
was closed again this morning... don't know what reason... lots of police in the area.

Also, Renee Zelweiger is filming under the bridge tomorrow morning (sunday)

Varkenslachter
jan
Sunday 2 November 2003 11.26am
Is he still up there - have watched the newsm nowt on it...being a bit selfish I know but I am thinking about my journey to work .

shame he's had to go to such lengths just to bring attention to the fact that he is being prevented from seeing his daughter..:-(
Monday 3 November 2003 11.01am
Well he was still there now too, causing a lot of disruption to both traffic and pedestrians (who are being routed via either St K's dock or past the Tower).

The policeman I spoke to on Friday said that the closure was to prevent him chucking stuff at people, so it was a public safety issue. It seems quite a peaceful (if disruptive) protest, but I suppose they cannot be too careful. On Friday morning they closed the road to traffic but were still allowing pedestrians on the pavement nearest to the Tower.

I don't know if he has been on the news, but there was a picture in The Independent on Saturday.
Monday 3 November 2003 1.51pm
Apparently he's said he's staying until friday morning.
Monday 3 November 2003 1.59pm
David Blaine cause minor traffic congestion and got dozens of
messages here. This plum brings traffic to a standstill and hardly
causes a ripple.
Surely the police have a sniper that could pick him off.
If he was doing this by Westminsister Bridge he would be brought
down double quick to avoid inconveniencing MP's.
Monday 3 November 2003 2.54pm
Who does he think he is, David Crane?
Monday 3 November 2003 11.28pm
Yet another pratt causing chaos to us SE1-ers. Why don't they just f OFF and leave us in peace and take their stupid stunts elsewhere?! Excuse my french, but this is getting ridiculous! And yes, why exactly are they closing the bridge????!!! Can't they just let him break his neck when falling from his crane?

Late night posting, but I'm getting bored of re-routing my journey's over London, whatever the so-called 'cause' may be.

I say get down off your crane, idiot, and get to court to fight for your rights, like the rest of us would.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: