Trip to London- advice please!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 19 April 2008 6.03pm
Hello

I will be in London for 3 days from next Sunday (27th), and staying at London County Hall by the Eye.

I would like to do the tourist thing and get plenty of snaps by Big Ben, Buck' Palace etc. I would also like to go to the Tate Modern, IWM and the Tower- is it possible to do all this in one day?

Also, is the Clink museum open until 9pm on Suundays? And is it worth bothering with?

Thank you
Saturday 19 April 2008 7.28pm
The answer to your first question is yes, although it will be a busy day.

The Clink was open till 9 on a Sunday the last time I checked, but you could try verifying this by calling them on 020 7403 0900.
Saturday 19 April 2008 8.25pm
To do all of the Tower that's open to the public, not reading anything but looking at everything, takes at least half a day. I think if you tried to do all on your list in a day you wouldn't enjoy them as much. Personally I'd ditch the IWM
Sunday 20 April 2008 8.32pm
And ditch the Clink ... its a naff tourist trap.
Sunday 20 April 2008 8.48pm
Have to agree about the Clink and would personally include the London Dungeon & Madame Tussauds too, also to a degree IWM, however the IWM is free which might make it more attractive - worth it for the Trench & Blitz experiences and if you get there when it opens at 10am will take less than an hour. If you're serious about doing it all in a day, nothing much opens before 10am, however you could use the time beforehand to get on a tour-bus and hop on/off to get the pictures you want. Tower Bridge is definitely worth a look and has great views, you can easily do the whole tour under 2 hours. Useful to get an Oyster card for the day if you're planning to travel on public transport - kids under 16 go free but may have to show ID on the busses if they look older, will also need to travel with an adult to get free travel on the tube. Interested to hear how you get on.
Sunday 20 April 2008 9.03pm
A smaller, cheaper one is The Old Operating Theatre. You'll recognise it from loads of telly. The ironwork is original because the vicar lied during the war.
Sunday 20 April 2008 9.09pm
Intriguing… What did he lie about?
Sunday 20 April 2008 9.14pm
Oh sorry. He said it had already gone to be melted down.
Monday 21 April 2008 3.31pm
duck tours are popular i hear
(they always sound like everyones having plenty of fun)

you have to book in advance right now tho
Monday 21 April 2008 4.09pm
You can walk to Big Ben and Buckingham Palace from where you are - go through St James' Park, which has sprung to life with some lovely flower displays. One or two pelicans flying around too.
The IWM has a James Bond exhibition on at the moment, which I'm sure will be fun. You can still spend a good 2-3 hours there.
That's probably your morning done, so head back to the river and walk to the Tate Modern. The Gourmet Pizza restaurant on Gabriel's Wharf does great pizzas.
The Temples are always nice to walk around ...but you're gonna be pushed for time if you want to squeeze the Tower in as well, especially at weekends.
A good place for Sunday lunch is the Queen Mary - it's a permanently moored boat in between Waterloo and Blackfriar's bridge. Other than wobbling around in the big wake of tiny boats (or maybe that was the beer talking), there's usually a live Jazz musician.
Other than that, go here and get 2 for 1 tickets for most attractions:

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/

The vouchers say you need a valid train ticket for that day, but they've always worked without for me..! :)
For an evening's entertainment, a must see is Avenue Q, followed by a good nosh up in Chinatown.
I don't know if you've been to London lately, but book in advance and arrive early!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: