help re restaurant nuisance

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 3 November 2003 9.34am
Can anyone recommend how best to report a smelly, unhygienic restaurant to the Council?

I have been troubled by the disgusting smell of barbecued catfish (!) every night for over a year, which is cooked in the rubbish and vehicle-filled carpark outside a restaurant which I live above.

I am desperate to stop it. Not only does it stink out the area to high heaven every single night, it's a huge fire risk and obviously unhygienic for the restaurant's customers.

However, I have not yet been successful in reporting this to the council as they only seem to have what they call a 'noise team' to deal with smell problems from neighbours. It doesn't really work...

What I am looking for is advice on how to report this hygiene and danger problem to the council. I haven't as yet been able to find an environmental health person at the council as they always direct me to the 'noise team'...

Does anyone have experience of sorting such things out? Anyone know the name of the right dept at southwark council?

Post edited (03 Nov 03 09:40)
Monday 3 November 2003 9.48am
I think that someone in the environmental health team, Food hygiene shop inspections etc. should help...assuming all food preparations and storage of food are covered by health and safety..

Monday 3 November 2003 10.14am

try calling or writing to:

Principal Enforcement Officer
Food/Health & Safety Unit
Public Protection Service
The Chaplin Centre
Thurlow Street
SE17 2DG

t: 020 7525 4257

if anyone can help i guess i should be through this dept. of Soutwark Council.

Good luck!

Monday 3 November 2003 12.06pm
thanks so much Jules, I shall try that right away.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network