strange building in Elephant&Castle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 8 February 2002 2.17pm
Does anybody know what that strange silver building is in the middle of one of the main roundabouts in Elephant & Castle (near the shopping centre?)
Friday 8 February 2002 4.12pm
I believe it's an electricity sub station
Friday 8 February 2002 8.01pm
Electricity substation it is I think, definitely associated with the Tube.

However, the whole point of the silver thing is that is is a memorial to Michael farady who originated in newington Butts.

Gleaned this from the palques in Weatherspoons on E & C.
Saturday 9 February 2002 9.48pm
There was an article in the Evening Standard about it roughly two to three years ago. (I don't know if the ever resourceful James Hatts can locate it.) But if I remember correctly it was a young architect working for something like the LEB, LT or GLC who decided to make a pretty straightforward commission, for something like a Tube electricity sub-station, interesting. He was interviewed by the ES and I think was still a jobbing architect. But nice building, and certainly much better than most of what surrounds. Perhaps he can be asked to do something for the Elephant Links project.

Incidently a friend claims her friend was asked to jazz up the Elephant shopping centre some years ago, and yes that colour pink (thankfully now replaced by the red-nose red) was taken from her favourite nail varnish.

Maybe another urban myth like the dead rat that was supposed to have been found floating in the, now-closed, Elephant swimming pool.
Saturday 9 February 2002 11.17pm
I can't find the ES article, but there's some information about the substation on <a href="">this page</a>.

There's also an allusion to it in this article from <a href=",6903,624075,00.html">The Observer</a>
Monday 11 February 2002 9.31am
Does anyone know if it is still a working building. I heard, and it may well be an urban myth that a member of the public bought it to live in!!! I know this may sound gullible but you never know!
Monday 11 February 2002 11.29am
It's covering the underground station. Supposedly doubling as a work of art.
Wednesday 13 February 2002 6.00am
it's constructed of old biscuit tins according to my mum.....
Friday 22 February 2002 3.28pm
I heard that a young local girl won a blue peter award to light up a public building of their choice. She chose the aluminum sub-station housing building and that is the reason it changes colour at night time.
Tuesday 26 February 2002 1.08pm
Dont know the origins of the building, but Jamie is definitely right about the blue peter award. The girl was the younger sister of someone I went to English Martyrs Primary (Flint Street,Walworth) with.
I'm sure Blue Peter filmed something there at the time - maybe someone at the BBC could tell you more?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: