New to London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 26 April 2008 6.38pm
hi, im moving to london in september 08 cos im going to study at Central Saint Martins. Ive applied for Manna Ash House, in Pocock Street, but being from Portugal, from what i've been reading around here, i'm getting concerned about safety in the streets there, since here i can stay out all night alone if i want to and not run into significant danger. Of course.. london is london, but is there any reason to PANIC! and carry a knife in my bag or something? And about Mana Ash House, apparently you guys hate it because of management? =/ in the brochure it looked so nice :P i mean, u can see London Eye from the kitchen and its walking distance to the Tate Modern!
please comment :)
Saturday 26 April 2008 7.20pm
Please don't carry a knife. That won't help you. I don't think you should worry too much. Nowehere in London is completely safe, but the area you are talking about isn't exactly the Wild West. You will be part of a community of students, and you have no reason to feel unsafe. I lived in Lisbon a few years ago, and found Bairro Alto more intimidating than anywhere I had lived in London. I still loved it, and never had any worse experience than being offered drugs. You certainly don't need to panic.
Saturday 26 April 2008 8.38pm
hehe, yeah, lisbon is a bit different. i live in the cascais line, so its a bit more chilled. thanks for the reply :) im not too worried, ive been to london about 5 times, and never felt unsafe, just wondering cos ive read some posts talking about it
Saturday 26 April 2008 9.08pm
Carry a knife? Are you mad?

Unless you're skilled at armed combat you're much more likely to be killed by carrying a knife than if you're not.

Otherwise it'll just get you a 5 year sentence.
Sunday 27 April 2008 9.35am
again, i was kidding about the knife lol anyone going live an manna ash house?
Sunday 27 April 2008 10.26am
kidding about the knife?? thats not funny, its sick
Sunday 27 April 2008 11.02am
I wouldn't worry - people here like their drama and its easy to get a little carried away on hyperbole. I live not that far from where you're moving to looking a little more conspicuous than I'd prefer taking photographs in and around the rubbish piles/skips and, in general, those shady areas people prefer to avoid with an expensive camera and I've never felt threatened. As always, a good 'street' attitude is everything; being aware of your surroundings, not faffing about with an unwieldly street map (get yourself a pocket A-Z), or wandering around with equipment bags that say things like Sony, Panasonic, etc. I'd also add not looking too much like a flash harry but that might just get you enrolled in your local crew! Basic common sense essentially, wherever in the world you happen to be.

Do avoid Bermondsey St however - dubious lot in that area, estate agents on every street corner.
Sunday 27 April 2008 11.10am
And I would advise you not to try to be funny on this site again - such foolhardy behaviour.
Sunday 27 April 2008 11.25am
Yes - uncontrolled wit is frowned upon.
Sunday 27 April 2008 12.56pm
Don't panic, and do look forward to your time here.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: