Blackbirds

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 27 April 2008 10.10am
Have we got more than our share of blackbirds round here? I particularly notice them in the area between the river and Great Dover street.
Sunday 27 April 2008 10.35am
There are loads here too, near TBRd/Grange Rd, and also a large number of magpies and some colourful tits (the coal and blue variety). Last year I saw a green woodpecker in the garden.
Sunday 27 April 2008 11.17am
As well as the aforementioned, we have a heron that comes first thing in the morning and frequents the Hayles Street/St Georges Road area. I don't know if someone in the upmarket houses in West Suare has a fishpond but there must be some attraction. I imagine he actually lives in St James Park as he always seem to fly off North. Can't wait for one of the pelicans from there arriving!
Sunday 27 April 2008 11.49am
Not if they do this!
Sunday 27 April 2008 12.00pm
Bet he was spitting feathers later on
Sunday 27 April 2008 4.30pm
I hope they're not foreign blackbirds. They'll be taking our trees, eating our worms and claiming breadcrumbs.

Send them back where they came from!
Monday 28 April 2008 2.26pm
There does seem to be more birds (of the garden feather kind) than ever in SE1. I think this may be in part due to the increase in green spaces of later (Bankside Community Trust, Guerilla gardening etc). Have spotted chaffinches, goldfinches, wrens, tits (greater and blue), wagtails, robins, starlings, blackbirds and (no doubt to retuirn shortly) swifts.

Much better than the old SE1 sparrows of yesteryear well, Ok, the mid-90s). Long may it last!
Monday 28 April 2008 2.58pm
I had a jay on my roof terrace last week, and I often get mallard ducks as well as blackbirds, blue tits, a wren, and damn pigeons, both feral and wood.
Monday 28 April 2008 3.23pm
I've seen thrushes too. The Jays are a nuisance, stunning though they may be.
Monday 28 April 2008 5.16pm
My concern is the seagulls - winged vermin - shame they dont eat feral pigeons.....

Jays, magpies and crows all eat the baby fledgling sparrows etc....

I have seen a sparrow hawk despatch a wood pigeon..... feathers everywhere....
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: