Zebra Crossing on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 1 May 2008 12.41am
I have long thought that a zebra crossing would be an asset to the junction of Bermondsey Street and Tanner Street, with Leathmarket traffic shooting down to the junction.

Having watched the world go by from The Village Deli and also experienced a few 'near misses' myself, despite due care and attention, I think it's just a matter of time before someone is hurt.

There are quite a few children around, particularly term time and weekensds - and holidays - and often even young children run ahead of their parents - or straggle behind.

I would hate to see those awful 'tributes' of flowers, tied to a lamp post....

What does anyone think?
Thursday 1 May 2008 10.31am
Totally agree. People drive particularly insane at that junction. Just bear in mind no crossing is a guarantee that a vehicle will stop.
Thursday 1 May 2008 10.51am
Never seen any zebra lines in Bermondsey Street to indicate a crossing.
Thursday 1 May 2008 12.52pm
I've also been thinking about the patch where you have to cross St Thomas St to get to the Bermonsey St Tunnel - that can be difficult to cross in the mornings with traffic coming from two directions. You're basically dependent on the time lag between the lights changing on both sides to get across.
Thursday 1 May 2008 1.25pm
Yes, another potentially dangerous spot. I also think it would be good to have one on Long Lane, opposite City Walk and Wilds Rents - where one can stand for up to 10 minutes, just waiting to cross - getting very wet on rainy days from both above and below!

There is a long gap between the two nearest crossings, and it would reduce the regular speeding on Long Lane, and also reduce being regularly Tsunamied.
Thursday 8 May 2008 1.24am
Surprised not to get more input - this area really does need some more crossings, in order to reduce the distinct possibilities of accidents..... It will happen. The latter.
Thursday 8 May 2008 8.50am
The whole traffic flow in the area is the subject of many different interest groups as some of the other postings on other threads have shown.

Southwark Council don't seem to have any integrated or coordintaed plan which includes traffic, pedestrianns and residents (people and businesses) in the area.

From what I have read on here it seems those who live in the area bounded by Tower Bridge Road/Tooley Street/Long Lane/Borough High Street want traffic to be reduced but those who live outside of that area don't see why this traffic should be discouraged.

This leads to poor planning for the area (see the protracted arguments over Bermondsey Street) and means the needs of the area's real residents are not of primary concer to the planners.

I fully garee the junction at Leathermarket Street/TannerStreet/Bermondsey street is awkward and could be dangerous. The problem is that so many people use Tanner Street as a cut through for this area, with flows both East and West. If it was made 1 way with no entry from Tower Bridge Road traffic flows would reduce considerably and the risk at the juction on Bermondsey Street would be greatly reduced.

As for a crossing on Long Lane at City Walk/Wild Rents i think that would be a great idea, and cause very little interference for all users of the road.
Thursday 8 May 2008 9.33am
There is a crossing already just West of Bermondsey Street on Long Lane. It is a short walk to City Walk from there.

As to Tanner Street becoming one way, I would disagree on the basis that there would be no alternative for traffic coming from Tower Bridge trying to get into the Bermondsey Street area, they would have to go all the way to Bermondsey Square just making that area even busier. In other words making it someone else's problem. That seems a bit Nimby for me.

I like the approach of other countries where all the traffic, pedestrian and vehicular share these crowded areas with low speed limits and without defined pavements or crossing points. This novel approach seems to slow the traffic right down.
Thursday 8 May 2008 11.14am
There is a crossing further up from City Walk towards Bermondsey Street but it is quite a way to walk just to cross the road. Many people use City walk as a cut through and you see lots of people trying to cross here so I think a crossing is long overdue. Sadly what normally happens is southwark Council react rather that are proactive so until something nasty happens (God forbid)at any of the sites mentioned nothing will probably change.
Thursday 8 May 2008 11.54am
Anyone know to whom/where our suggestions should be directed. It might help if they got a lot of similar requests.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: