Stabbing at Newall House

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 3 May 2008 1.42pm
I would like to extend my sincerest sympathies to friends and family of the victim. I cannot imagine how anyone could make sense of the waste of such a young life, still un-lived. Does anyone know what actually happened to result in this shocking / distressing incident? I live inside the police cordon and cannot even walk to my car or outside my house at all, as we are 'on a crime scene'. There are CSI's in funny suits everywhere and police on every corner, but they can't say anything... All we know is that some poor young person (boy?) has been stabbed and has tragically died. I have a 3.5 year old and I am very concerned about her growing up in such close proximity of such violence and unrest, is anyone else thinking of leaving south london (sadly)? Why do these horrific incidents keep happening? Why are 15 year olds out at 1.40am? What can any of us do to protect our loved ones and communities? But, mainly I just want to express my overwhelming sadness that something like this should ever have happened and to communicate to anyone who may have known the victim, that I am deeply sorry for their loss.
Saturday 3 May 2008 2.28pm
why ARE 15 year olds out at 1.40am? the answer to that question will also probably suggest the solution to the problem...its becaue their parents either let them or cant be bothered to care where they are. the solution??? force the parents to face up to their responsibilities
Saturday 3 May 2008 2.57pm
you took the words right out of my mouth boroughpaul. A tragic violent death that needn't have happened.
Saturday 3 May 2008 6.45pm
What happens when the 15 year old refuses to come home on time or threatens violence against the parent(s) to get their own way, or just ignores what they say, as most single parents have few effective sanctions or bribes to offer.
I had a relative who tried to stop one of their children going out (who was a 15 year old). They pushed them back into their bedroom and told them in no uncertain terms that they were not going out. The child phoned the police and claimed they had been assaulted. The police turned up and arrested the father, who ended up spending the night down the police station.
The situation today bares little resemblance to even 15 years ago, as far as parental (or school) support. Parents and schools have been emasculated as far as exercising authority is concerned.
Happily, I have not suffered to bad with my children (so far). But then, I do have a good income and the time to argue, coerce and bribe.
Saturday 3 May 2008 8.48pm
It was shocking to see the large police presence at 11 am this morning. The police were using gloves to search for evidence. A real eye-opener. Like the previous posters I feel for the families affected by this.

The question as to why 15 year olds are out is a tough one. I hope to God that the climate changes so that a Dad can have some sort of authority over their children.

Nobody else has.

Kevin

PS, The Old Vic had a free show today,'Branded' which was based on teen 'street killing'. It was a very compelling piece. All the more poignant, given the earlier murder.
Sunday 4 May 2008 9.45pm
What a surprise!......Sky News, ITV News and the Sunday Mirror have all reported the murder as taking place at Newhall House, PECKHAM!!!!

I guess adding Peckham to a story must add something to it because its not the first time that journalists seem to have trouble understand a map of London.....
Tuesday 6 May 2008 2.54pm
Not even Boris Johnson (or his ghostwriters) can get it right - today's Standard carries an article under the new Mayor's byline that claims that the stabbing was in Peckham.

(of course, it's a minor point in the context of such a loss of life, though)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 6 May 2008 3.34pm
you know what it is James..they think it's the BOROUGH of PECKHAM!
Tuesday 6 May 2008 11.54pm
I can't belive what some of you are saying, i think you all should shut the hell up as you have no idea, stay in your paper lives and leave alone what you obviously no nothing about. Hypocrits...........
Wednesday 7 May 2008 7.29am
SerenaLeigh wrote:
I can't belive what some of you are saying, i think you all should shut the hell up as you have no idea, stay in your paper lives and leave alone what you obviously no nothing about. Hypocrits...........

Perhaps you would care to expand on what people know nothing about - that people think it is a tragic death that should not have happened? that 15 year old children should not be running around the streets at that time in the morning? that parents should be concerned and not let young children roam the streets or that people believe the Borough isn't Peckham?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network