The George - SE1 campaign to improve it

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 6 May 2008 3.03pm
As this site has proved effective as a pressure on some local businesses, I wonder what we can do about the George. It is one of the nicest looking pubs in SE1, with a great outdoor area. It's a delightful, charming place with bags of character.

But the food.

And the service.

And the drinks.

And, and and. Ghastly. Three abysmal reviews on this site already this month.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/reviews/85/the-george-inn

Anybody else agree? And can James track down the management to get them to do something?
Tuesday 6 May 2008 4.42pm
Would be great if it could be improved.

Though if they make a healthy profit from tourists they may not feel the need to cater to discerning locals (who also have plenty of choice of good pubs in SE1)
Tuesday 6 May 2008 5.45pm
When I read the first post here I was about to say the same as Colinio - like so many tourist traps they will only bother to improve if their takings drop. Every time I've been there the service has been indifferent at best and the drinks less than wonderful, but it's been absolutely packed.
Wednesday 7 May 2008 4.16pm
Totally agree with you all - 'the George' is pants! And, as a local, I never go there after several poor experiences previously - especially the service - it took forever, not because they were busy, but because they were chatting / smoking / breaking / generally nonchalant... It is exactly the kind of pub that I think 'Oh... if only I could have this place, I'd do..... (20 minute rant)'. I do hope your campaign to get the place back on track comes to some fruition! Good luck se1 team, and pull your socks up the george!
Wednesday 7 May 2008 5.11pm
OK. Where else is there in Borough that will serve pub lunch to a table of 15?

And what about sitting outside?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: