Nursery Panic!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 6 May 2008 8.35pm
Hi,
I am currently searching for a nursery for my son, for when I return to work in August. He's on the wating list for the Arc, but it's unlikely a place will come up soon enough. Bright Horizons looks great but is so expensive. I've been to visit Coral Nursery in Waterloo today and it looked OK-ish. Does anyone have any experience of Coral (or anywhere else that they thought was good)? I'm also visiting St Patrick's Montessori tomorrow, so fingers crossed... Any advice or suggestions very welcome. Thanks
Claire
CVM
Tuesday 6 May 2008 8.58pm
childcarelink.gov.uk has all the childcare providers in London.
KC
Tuesday 6 May 2008 10.34pm
Hi Claire,

I can only highly recommend St. Patrick's as my little boy loves it there - he has been going since 7 mths old and is now 3. I believe the Arc may be closing and I know a lot of parents have looked at St. P's so may be a waiting list but good luck !!
Wednesday 7 May 2008 12.36pm
Claire-j, have you checked recently when the Arc are likely to have a place? The waiting list gives the impression that they are 100% full but that is really only on certain days - from my own experience if you can be at all flexible with your days, you may find you can get it after all. Good luck!
Monday 12 May 2008 6.12pm
im just a guy and nor do i have any kids but..

do working mothers get a fairly generous childcare allowance and therefore couldnt working and non working mothers get together and open their own childcare facility using their allowance to fund it

many hands make light work and they would be the ones who make the decisions - not some private company with profits to make

ive often wondered why mothers in a local area dont pool resources eg if you had 10 mothers 3-4 could look after 10 children leaving 6-7 who could be working shopping relaxing or whatever
they could take it in turns and would be a positive example of female self organisation

they would be able to put in 1 days help with childcare and they would receive 2 free days back so it would be a win-win

just my two cents
Monday 12 May 2008 8.40pm
"do working mothers get a fairly generous childcare allowance and therefore couldn't working and non working mothers get together and open their own childcare facility using their allowance to fund it "

Love the idea but childcare/tax allowances etc can only be offset against a registered childminder or nursery. At the very least, childminders have to be trained, registered, CRB checked, have the correct insurance and PLI AND be "Ofsted inspected" on a regular basis, a daunting experience if you just want to help a friend who's going back to work. Charming as it sounds, it's no longer a question of looking after the neighbours kids and them looking after yours in return also not every parent wants to look after other people's children, some have a talent for it, others don't and find it demanding enough to take care of their own. That said, if you're lucky enough to have made good friends with parents who have children of similar ages, this can work on a very informal basis, ie, a few hours per week, but not enough to sustain a career. Most working parents and employers need an agreement that's more concrete, ie registered childcare that they pay for but can guarantee as far as possible will be available on a regular basis.
Monday 9 June 2008 9.50pm
Hello Claire

Coin st nursery near waterloo is probably the best around and very cheap too. But I think that they have long waiting lists.

Definately worth putting your name down though.

It has a great outside area and they also take the children out and about locally on lots of trips. It is also open plan so that when your child moves age groups they don't leave all their friends behind (as they would at Bright Horizons).

PM me if you want more info.

Lucy
Tuesday 10 June 2008 11.46am
Hi,

My daughter goes to Bermondsey Community nursery, which she loves, they do have a waiting list but as there are quite a few older children at the moment no doubt they will be going to school in September so if you could get someone to cover the first few weeks then I'm sure you could get a place.

Also Skallywags is a good nursery.
Tuesday 10 June 2008 1.37pm
Is Kintore way nursery still open? they were excellent my grand-daughter went there.
Tuesday 10 June 2008 1.43pm
my son went to little acorns in st James road-he loved it there
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: