Picture Framer & Paper Conservation

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 14 May 2008 1.56pm

Can anyone recommend a local picture framer?

Also - I need to find a service that can remove the foxing (mould spots) from old pictures? I am looking for a professional service - as used in paper conservation (doesn't have to be in SE1).

Many thanks,

Wednesday 14 May 2008 2.45pm
Sorry - I've just seen the thread on picture framers. Already quite a few suggested, so will check them out.

Wednesday 14 May 2008 3.22pm
I'm not sure if they can help with the foxing, but Camberwell College of Art (020 7514 6302) does a museum conservation course. Perhaps also try the London College of Communication (School of Printing & Publishing 020 7514 6700) or Intaglio Printmakers Southwark Bridge Road - sorry no numbers.
Wednesday 14 May 2008 4.15pm
Do put up a post about your experiences, if you don't mind, if you go ahead with anything. I've got one or two things that I would like checked/framed in a way to best conserve the prints. Thanks.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 15 May 2008 4.36am
Hello. I am a printmaker so have to get a lot of my own work framed. It is a problem finding a good framer and it is often extremely costly, particularly, of course, in London - I currently send the majority of my work to a man in Yorkshire who used to work at the Tate! But I have had an old etching framed at Pure & Applied on Bermondsey Street (who do 'conservation grade' framing - i.e. to museum standard - and are Fine Art Trade Guild commended framers and they did an ok job, albeit expensive. Good luck and do report back!
Thursday 15 May 2008 9.48am
I have used Bijou on tower bridge road of a number of framings. and so has my girlfriend.

we are both very happy with the service and price. he's a bit eccentric, but I cant think of it being done any better.

no links. just happy customer.
Thursday 15 May 2008 5.32pm
There is an excellent framer in Lower Marsh, Kevin Phillips. Shop doesn't look much from the outside but really knows his stuff. Can supply all types of glass up to museum glass. Worth ringing in advance as he is not always there even if the shop is open. 7928 4944.

No connection apart from satisfied customer etc.
Thursday 15 May 2008 9.49pm
We have used Pure and Applied several times and always been very happy with their work.
No connection etc...
Wednesday 21 May 2008 12.18pm
Many thanks to all for your suggestions! I'll let you know how I get on.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: