Video store closure Queen Elizabeth Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 16 May 2008 10.05pm
Any ideas what the story is behind this/ plans for future? I live 1 min away and im gutted!!
Friday 16 May 2008 11.07pm
The very nice owner, Mr Hesham as my children call him, is a smart fellow who's known the video rental business for a long time. I believe he's converting the space to a sandwich bar/cafe - he has the tiny corner sandwich bar on the Circle S.side - thinking, I think, that physical video rental is a shrinking sector as high quality download rental starts to become universal. Meanwhile a large library of dvd's is for sale at 2 each, many of them 'art' movies for the 'high-class clientele' of that area.
Saturday 5 July 2008 3.50pm
I hope the sandwich shop opens really soon as the noise from construction is really beginning to get on our nerves!

Anyone else bothered by the drilling and hammering during anti-social hours? (as late as 11 pm yesterday and is continuing at time of posting, 15.45 on a Saturday).

Last night, after several days of tolerating the noise, I tried to speak to the owner. While we welcome new business and appreciate the need for construction to make this happen, I indicated that we live upstairs and the noise was making it difficult for our baby to sleep.

Although he gave me his word that he would keep to legal construction hours, when I went to see him at 3 this afternoon his manner clearly suggested that keeping to his arbitrary opening date was more important than the peace of the neighbourhood and good relations with those living in the Circle.

I told him that he's alienating potential customers in the Circle with his noisy works. His colleague chimed in "we don't want your custom anyhow".

Wednesday 9 July 2008 7.11pm
bluefish wrote:
I hope the sandwich shop opens really soon as the noise from construction is really beginning to get on our nerves!

Looks like your prayers are answered.

The "Circle Deli" opened yesterday (8th), apparently. Just popped in to nose about - didn't buy anything - was on my way to the Circle shop for some beer. Anyway, looks great inside and still open at this time. Lots of meats, veggies, etc to make lots of sandwiches etc. One of those fancy baked potato ovens was also present.

James - you mitght like to pop over and take a picy.
Saturday 12 July 2008 2.36pm
It looks great - light, clean, good looking sandwiches & pastries & a salad bar I think. I told the owner that he had a mention on here & he was thrilled. At least it looked good quality & isn't another estate agent or dry cleaners.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: