Organic milk

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 17 May 2008 6.50pm
Does anyone know of a reliable source of organic milk towards the Bricklayers' Arms end of Tower Bridge Road? I really want to buy from local, independent shops, but those I've tried tend not to have it, or else to overprice it big time. Or else it hangs around in the fridge a bit too long. Last two of which may,of course, be because there's not much call for it.
Saturday 17 May 2008 7.24pm
Any of the big supermarkets will do good quality organic milk at an acceptable price. If you want to shop ‘local', you have to pay a ‘local price, unfortunately.
Sunday 18 May 2008 2.34am
Do you mean cows' milk, or goats' milk, sheeep milk, cat milk, rat milk or dog milk? Which mammal's lactate do you desire? Surely it can't be proper for a human adult to ingest the udder juice of another species? Apart from the ethical issues of the meat & dairy industry, the environmental impact of that industry, there are the health concerns. You cannot be serious?
Sunday 18 May 2008 8.34am
Duh? It makes about as much sense as mammals eating the roots of vegetables or seeds. In other words it's fine to eat anything you can digest ( I believe some milk isn't well digested by adults, but one does get some nutrients from it, and the calcium is very good for adult women). Let's not bring ethics into this thread because that should be for a new subject heading as all the "nuts" come out.
Sunday 18 May 2008 12.03pm
Would Baldwin's be too far away, at the Elephant end of Walworth Rd?
Sunday 18 May 2008 12.09pm
Jerry - what a bad-tempered comment! An ethical challenge in a discussion about "organic" milk seems perfectly in order, even if you disagree with it.

Your own position ("it's fine to eat anything you can digest") seems to be entirely ethics-free. But people who do think a bit harder about what they eat and the consequences of eating it aren't necessarily nuts.
Sunday 18 May 2008 2.59pm
Jerry, I don't see the comparison. Eating roots & seeds seems like an ideal way to derive protein & carbs, while spinach contains more calcium than cows' milk. Which threads should we confine ethics to?
Sunday 18 May 2008 7.19pm
Perhaps we could have comments pertinent to the original question in this thread.

If people want to debate the ethics of milk consumption, please feel free to do so over in the Chatter section.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 18 May 2008 9.48pm
Hopefully new Sainsburys in Bermondsey square (when it opens later this year) will have more organic produce at better prices than other local stores in TBR.
Monday 19 May 2008 6.59am
We have organic milk here in our office, despite being in a large chilled cabinet with a tap..it does seem to go off quickly, so I can imagine it would go bad far more quickly than non organic milk.

I like Cravendale semi-skimmed, especially as I was told by a relative who works as a food scientist/inspector that that was the only milk he would ever drink due to the purity and double filter thingys..
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: