Plop-cack

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 20 May 2008 7.12pm
I'm sure I never used to notice so many sewage smells when I lived in Stoke-Newington/Stamford Hill and Camberwell. Is this just because se1 is such an old part of London or is it that being more built up means there's more 'matter' to dispose of? Maybe I'm just getting over sensitive but I even think it's got worse in the eight years I've been here.
I'm really looking forward to the Shard. I really like it but I do wonder about all that falling used food.
Anyone else noticed a difference or can tell me I'm imagining it?
Wednesday 21 May 2008 6.45am
Now and again there is a whiff Beetroot, a few weeks back there was a revolting smell carried over the Channel from a pig farmer spreading pig poop..
By any chance do your suffer from catarrh? my sister used to and always complained about a pong!
Wednesday 21 May 2008 8.05am
Nope, no catarrh.
The stinks I'm talking about are contained in quite small areas, maybe only fifteen metres, and friends that live in other parts of London comment on them when we pass through. It's not a general pong. There's a regular occurrance near the Southwark Tavern.
Wednesday 21 May 2008 8.46am
sounds like a blocked sewer pipe...I'd go in the pub and ask if they have trouble with their drains..or phone environmental health.
Wednesday 21 May 2008 11.31am
This happens all over London. Parts of the City absolutely hum, and I went for a stroll in Wapping/Limehouse at the weekend, and in some parts you could barely breathe! It's not really surprising if most of our sewers are still Bazalgette's...
Wednesday 21 May 2008 11.58am
Yes the City's got loads of hum zones.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: