What is the Long Lane area like?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 28 May 2008 9.17pm
hi i just signed a contract for a flat at 208 long lane.
when I was viewing the flat it looked alright but today i was there again and i noticed that there are several estates directly around.
what is the area like? i mean is it safe to walk there at night?
i also saw some quite posh flats on the opposite side of the road.
cant really figure out what it is like there as there are some very decayed buildings as well as some very new buildings.
also the way to borough and/or london bridge seems further than i thought.
is the street (long lane) very loud? my windows faces the street.
i am a bit upset as i got a quite bad impression today.
can anybody tell me something positive which will cheer me up ?
Wednesday 28 May 2008 9.44pm
Hi Frank, I've lived at 239 Long Lane for the last year and it's a fantastic place to live. Near enough the bars and restaurants of Bermondsey Street but far enough away to be a quiet area. The estates are nothing to be concerned about, I haven't had any problems. Long Lane is busyish but I never really hear it, London Bridge Station is 10 minutes walk, Borough about the same so you don't need to have any worries on the transport links.

As with all parts of London, keep your belongings locked up (particularly bikes) and don't make yourself a victim when walking around (flashing iPods, phones etc) but you've made a great choice of area!
Wednesday 28 May 2008 10.01pm
thanks for the answer. you really cheered me up =) .
Wednesday 28 May 2008 11.22pm
From those I know who live on it and from visiting them the worst thing you are likely to encounter is noise. Not generalised noise, but a fire alarm going off at Guy's is a good way to wake you up. No, you won't hear the alarm, but you may will hear the the wailing parade of fire engines that inevitably result. Actually, almost every emergency vehicle, regardless of where it's going or at what hour, seems to go down Long Lane with its sirens wailing at full pelt. I've been told this is down to the particular conditions on the road; namely that it is relatively important, relatively narrow, has lots of other narrow streets joining it, has buildings that come right out to the pavements in places and lots of trees. This means that emergency vehicles will tend to sound their sirens as a precaution to warn other vehicles that may be about to turn into their paths, but that they cannot see.
Thursday 29 May 2008 7.49am
I live on Long Lane - lots of sirens, and a fair amount of traffic noise, but other than the noise (which should be blocked out to a fair degree by decent glazing) I have no complaints, big or small, about the locale.

The estates the original post mentions may not be pretty, but they seem to be well maintained, and I wouldn't say I have any qualms about walking through them.

It's an area where there is a conspicuous mix of the old and the new, and this makes it pretty vibrant. There are reasonable local amenities, some excellent pubs, a few decent places to eat, and plenty of good things within walking distance - ranging from Borough Market to Tate Modern.
Thursday 29 May 2008 9.00am
I've been living at 239 for 9 years....that should tell you how I feel about the place.
Thursday 29 May 2008 9.59am
thank you al for the answers.
you made me feel a lot better about my choice!
Thursday 29 May 2008 10.28am
Long Lane has always struck me as one of the most scruffy and soulless of SE1's streets. A real dump in the middle of a nice part of town. And the mid-stretch of Long Lane is the worst. If some of the redundant pubs have something happen to them, and the empty sites and half-demolished buildings too, then the place might drag itself up. As it is, it doesn't look as though anything is going to happen there.

The estates are the best looking part of Long Lane, imo.
Thursday 29 May 2008 10.58am
I have to say that, with the exception of the fabulous Italian deli, I am not a big fan of Long Lane for the reasons Mapmaker gives. However, it is a good location for access to the bars and restaurants on Bermondsey St., the new Bermondsey Square and London Bridge and Borough tubes. Further, I do think it has real potential if the derelict old buildings do get torn down (or rebuilt in the case of the antiques warehouses) and something of at least some architectural merit is put in its place.

Double-glazing should keep out the noise from the road.

Welcome to SE1!

Thursday 29 May 2008 2.20pm
>>something of at least some architectural merit is put in its place.

Eh? When did that last happen?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: