What is the Long Lane area like?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Friday 30 May 2008 4.08pm
I think that what makes SE1 such a nice and interesting neighbourhood, is the fact that it is a mix of Council Estates and privately owned flats. I have lived in much 'posher' areas of London and can say that that was equal to much duller. Nowhere have I seen a greater sense of community than in SE1, reinforced by this wonderful website.
Friday 30 May 2008 5.35pm
so there you have it franksterling, we are a community - ALL of us. You can find crummy people everywhere. But SE1 is all the better for the healthy mix of people without any special leaning one way or another. No one is out to be elitist or sniffy, we're all here together as you will see if you come along and meet us all when you finally take up residence.
Saturday 31 May 2008 3.29pm
James Hatts wrote:
As far as I am concerned everyone who lives or works locally is welcome on this forum, regardless of housing arrangements

Phew! That's a relief. I have never attended any SE1 social events as I thought I was too common.
Saturday 31 May 2008 5.12pm
I live on a council estate in the area and I am DEAD posh ;-)
Monday 2 June 2008 11.32am
As has already been said, Long Lane is not pretty, but good things about it include: The Long Lane Fish Bar (really delicious fish 'n' chips, though pricey of course these days) and the Italian deli on the corner with Wilds Rents which sells amongst other things Ticino bakery bread (from round the corner on Bermondsey St), amazing mozzarella cheese flown in weekly, fresh from Campania, and good coffee. Personally, I like the fact that there are two launderettes and a dry cleaners, a florist,and newsagents. I live on Tennis Street (Borough tube end of Long Lane) but frequently walk the length of the road eastwards at various times of day and night and find it safe from a traffic point of view. I have also never felt threatened from a crime point of view. I am a woman in my 30s. Last night, my boyfriend and I met some friends for a cocktail in the relatively new 'Old School Yard' - it's the first time we've been in and, whilst it's a bit odd, I think it's a welcome addition to the road and certainly better than another building turned into expensive flats... The 'Cosmopolitan' I had cost 4 pounds and was delicious!
Monday 2 June 2008 11.39am
I wholeheartedly endorse everything said by Snowball, except I'm not so convinced by the Long Lane Fish Bar, which strikes me as distinctly average. Have I been unlucky on my three visits?
Monday 2 June 2008 11.55am
Let's see what other people think - but I like the batter, the chips and the fish I've had there (cod and haddock) has always tasted deliciously fresh! Guess this may be something that divides opinion. Perhaps there will be advocates for George's Fish Bar but I think that Long Lane is better, plus I like the old-fashioned turquoise decor!
Monday 2 June 2008 12.10pm
I thought Georges fish 'n chip shop had closed? Hope so anyway as they were rubbish. The Long Lane fish shop is a much higher quality and at a fiver for cod and chips is quite reasonable I think.
Monday 2 June 2008 4.56pm
I have only been the Long Lane fish shop twice, and was dissapointed to say the least. Maybe third time lucky....and all that, so will give it another whirl.
Tuesday 3 June 2008 4.26pm
And, if you live on Long Lane, you're well situated to come to Stitch and Bitch at the Britannia (see Socials).

(Knitting is a great social leveller, so one can be as common as one wants and still be welcome. You'll recognise the S&B group as they'll be sat around bottles of Bolly, or maybe Pimms as the Season advances;0))

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network