Flake £3.50?!?!?!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Saturday 31 May 2008 12.19pm
I bought my 2 sons an ice cream on Bankside the other day. I don't like those vans any more, but according to the missus, Sainsbury's ice creams aren't stored properly and often refrozen, so I didn't have much choice. Any way, my sons wanted a chocolate cone, so that's what they got and I got a heart attack thrown in for free, as I got charged 7. I only had 5 on me, and I pointed out to the guy no prices where listed any where on the van. He said the van wasn't his so I offered to call his boss and offer to send him the missing 2. The guy then told me 5 was fine (still far too much in my opinion). He said all the vans charged 3.50, but one down the road "only" charged 3. I am wondering, has anyone else here ever paid this much? I love walking along Bankside, but I have to say, after this and some really bad experiences at Nando's and that Greek place I am growing a bit weary...
Saturday 31 May 2008 1.25pm
That's absurd. I would expect to pay about 2.
Saturday 31 May 2008 4.09pm
Sounds like he was making a few quid for himself as awel as his mate. That is so expensive. Where exactly was the van parked??
Saturday 31 May 2008 4.41pm
Left of the Anchor, opposite Nando's .
Sunday 1 June 2008 1.55pm
Behind the Starbucks near the Founders Arms pub is a newsagent which sells ice cream. I've bought from there before and the prices were reasonable and the ice cream seemed properly stored.

Also Pizza Express seems to have opened an ice cream window but I've no idea about the prices. Surely less than 3.50 though!
Monday 2 June 2008 2.18pm
The ice creams vans along Bankside park illegally and cause a noise disturbance to residents. More community minded to buy from local shops who pay rates etc. Pizza Express ice creams start at 1.85 and are delicious. I think EAT and the Real Greek sell them too, as well as the newsagent in Clink Street.
Monday 2 June 2008 2.28pm
outrageous, but nothing surprises me anymore.
not sure how 'safe' those ice creams actually are anyway, not being properly frozen, but that might just be me.

the best ice cream on the river in my opinion is at the alba (?)cafe in the oxo tower. tastes like proper italian ice cream (but it is expensive).
schnake
Tuesday 3 June 2008 7.45pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
...according to the missus, Sainsbury's ice creams aren't stored properly and often refrozen...

I'm with your missus re ice cream at Sainsburys. Last summer in the little Sainsburys opposite Waterloo station I pointed out to them two days running that the ice cream in their freezer at the back was liquid. They pointed at the temperature gauge on the top and said it was fine. I squeezed the icecream pot at them and told them it wasn't! The freezer had fish, ready meals, all sorts. I pointed out that their food could kill an elderly person. They didn't look at all bothered, including the manager, who I had asked for on the second day. I called environmental health, and after that things seemed to improve quite a bit.

In another (big) Sainsburys their icecream was also completely liquid. The first member of staff I pointed it out to asked me why I didn't just take one from further back on the shelf. Happily a second member of staff took it more seriously, and told the first one it was a health hazard and would all need to be thrown away.

Incredible. How do all these people with such a lackadaisical (and/or uninformed) attitude to food hygeine make it through to adulthood, given what they must be eating? Perhaps they have especially sturdy insides, and natural selection will soon mean that we can all eat rancid ice cream to our hearts' content.

Or maybe it's a healthy conspiracy to save us and our waistlines from icecream against our own better judgement...

Jessica x
Sunday 8 June 2008 6.30pm
Southwark has been looking to ban itinerant ice cream trading in the Bankside area for some time, and introduce licensed pitches instead - possibly with the benefit of mains electricity etc (to avoid noisy engines/generators).

See this report to the licensing committee in March:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/uploads/file_33687.pdf

And our report of a previous meeting on the same subject in summer 2006:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2296

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 8 June 2008 9.19pm
Licensed pitches are a good idea, the fumes and noise from ice cream van engines does not make for a pleasant environment.

Also noticed the Amano next to Tower Bridge sells ice cream outside too - seems restaurants and cafes realise it's a quick and easy way to a bit of profit.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: