Elephant & Castle tube station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 10 November 2003 5.23pm
I see now that the new station will be closed until 'approximately December 2003'. Isn't that a scandal? There must be something seriously wrong for it to be so behind schedule. I think we should be told!

Monday 10 November 2003 5.50pm
Something seriously wrong!? I very much doubt it, It'll just be the normal inability of LU to get anything done within a reasonable time frame. I have no idea where they get their concept of project management from...

... Do you remember how long it took them to get the Jubilee Line extension done?

What are the bettings on an extension of the East London Line to Peckham this millennium?
Tuesday 11 November 2003 8.57am
Fair do's, they've got to drink an awful lot of lager every shift. And then there's the empty cans to get rid of. And that stuff really makes you want to go to the toilet a lot. And then it's break time.

(anyone who read the Std yesterday may get this one)

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 14 December 2003 9.19pm
It's finally open - first day of operation was Friday 12 Dec!!!

It now has some very odd talking lifts.
Monday 10 May 2004 12.20am
Have just seen the news story about the next three years of refurbishing the rest of the station.

Does anyone know why there are still blue hoardings around the new Northern Line entrance that have to be locked each night?

I am hearing wild rumours that the massively expensive (?) sliding glass doors specified by the architects either failed fire tests or some other health and safety element, and therefore cannot be closed.

It seems that TfL are being cagey until after the local elections, probably because one of the few people asking questions about the delays is Newington ward councillor Caroline Pidgeon, who is also Lib Dem candidate for the local GLA seat.

Caroline's press release on the delays at E+C and Kennington seems to add some credence to this story.

Does anyone know the truth?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: