Green netting and scaffolding

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 2 June 2008 11.59am
Is anyone else a resident of Boughton/Northfleet House who is going round the bend by having their flat swathed in green netting and scaffolding? It's not due to be taken down until August, so I feel that I'm going to be light-deprived for the whole summer... especially since the weather's currently so grey and drizzly. The plants on my balcony are not enjoying it either!
Monday 2 June 2008 4.59pm
Hi Snowball

I am not a resident of Boughton/Northfleet House but my block is also swathed in scaffolding and green netting. It's so very depressing, especially when nothing is happening and I have been told the works (new windows) could take up to six months to complete (not surprising, as there is no sign of them beginning and the scaffolding was completed almost four weeks ago!).

When I queried the green netting, I was told the 'elf 'n' safety tsars decree it in case of falling debris, etc. This must be a new edict or is it just Southwark, I wonder?

I have no real idea of what the weather is doing outside the netting and you're right, my plants don't like it either. The summer, if we get one, will be spoilt for me...

I empathise.
Monday 2 June 2008 10.40pm
At my block the (blue) netting went up then came down again (I suspect at the hands of some neighbours).

It was a relief as it was like living in a blue cloud when it was there.

Also, once they start doing your windows they need o hoist stuff onto the scaffold which they can't do if the netting is in place. It seems completely pointless doesn't it?
Tuesday 3 June 2008 8.27am
It is true that H & S demand netting on any scaffolding which borders a pavement where people are walking past and could get a nasty shock or worse when a breeze block falls on their head. However, the cavalier way the powers that be dont coordinate the work and the scaffolding, resulting in situations where the scaffolding is up and nothing's going on, is just outrageous. Particularly since scaffolding is expensive and charged by the week/month.
Tuesday 3 June 2008 8.45am
Interesting. May have to take out the kitchen scissors and embark on some guerilla action!
Tuesday 3 June 2008 1.26pm
snowball wrote:
May have to take out the kitchen scissors and embark on some guerilla action!

perhaps something like this?:
Tuesday 3 June 2008 2.20pm
I'm over in Aird House - Netted and Scaffolded too until August. On a more positive note the stuff is keeping us cool - we're south facing!
Tuesday 3 June 2008 2.24pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
It is true that H & S demand netting on any scaffolding which borders a pavement where people are walking past and could get a nasty shock or worse when a breeze block falls on their head. However, the cavalier way the powers that be dont coordinate the work and the scaffolding, resulting in situations where the scaffolding is up and nothing's going on, is just outrageous. Particularly since scaffolding is expensive and charged by the week/month.

That's interesting, Jackie. The rear of our block just goes on to grass about 4mts wide and then the car park so no pedestrians directly underneath and it's the netting to the rear which is causing most distress to residents and plants. I shall have words...

Outrageous indeed, and the lack of communication about the delay, or the works in general, is driving me insane. It also occured to me how expensive the scaffolding must be. If I were a leaseholder, as opposed to the tenant that I am, I would be livid at the cavalier spending of my money.

Someone in the sister block opposite me appears to have taken their shears to the netting. Very tempted to climb out on to the scaffolding platform and do the same!
Tuesday 3 June 2008 3.21pm
Thank you very much for all the creative and informative responses. I too will be going to talk to the works manager on site as the rear netting is above a grass area that is already fenced off for the work so no-one could be in danger from falling material from above.
Tuesday 3 June 2008 5.29pm
Location: NORTHFLEET HOUSE TABARD GARDEN ESTATE, NEWCOMEN STREET, LONDON, SE1 1YX
Proposal: Removal of brickwork walls on private balconies and replace with powder coated metal balustrades
Statutory start date: 02/05/2007
Decision issued: Refused
http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/

So now they are renewing the balcony brickwork.
The only indication that work is in progress is the window-sills have a new thick layer of dust every evening.
They also changed the drainpipes from a smooth pipe to a matt finish pipe 'in keeping with the building style'!. Although only a drainpipe anorak would recognise the differece.
The netting prevents all the dust from dispersing, and the damp smell from the wet scaffolding boards.
I bet Boughton/Northfleet houses will be encased until sep/oct.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: