Teenage stabbing and we are still watching

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 3 June 2008 8.12pm
Only this year so far 17 teenagers are knived to dead. We are all watching. Doing nothing.
We don't have to think that the government or the mayor of London will do something, because they don't! We as Londoners can change that, because it is getting out of control.
I think kids have to much power these days.More power then parents, teachers and people on the street. I got some ideas about this topic, but i like to know what you are thinking!
LONDON NEEDS HELP
Tuesday 3 June 2008 8.55pm
ARSEMA DAWIT IN WATERLOO IS THE LAST VICTIM
Wednesday 4 June 2008 8.29am
er... the main suspect is a man twice her age who was said to be infatuated with her. The police have stated it is nothing to do with gangs or youths.

It is a tragic murder of a person who happens to be a teenager, probably by an older man.

Hysteria and misplaced blame are utterly pointless!
Wednesday 4 June 2008 8.42am
I think they should have knife/gun/detecting thingys in places where they would not be suspected of being, Tescos,Asda,Lidl, or the church where that poor little girl attended. It's been praying on my mind ever since I heard about it..:-(
Wednesday 4 June 2008 10.08am
"We are all watching. Doing nothing."

What exactly are we supposed to do? These killings are tragic, but I fail to see what an ordinary citizen with no judidicial or political authority can do.
Wednesday 4 June 2008 1.02pm
People may think that nero's post is perhaps hysterical but I think everyone can understand its sentiment. We sit and read/watch the news, tut into our coffees and wonder how such things could happen but we don't do anything about it - we don't protest, we don't march the streets, we don't write to our local MP, we don't get together with the local community to discuss local issues because we don't know our local community. We live in an apathetic society and our government is equally as apathetic.

I just wonder how bad things have to get before something drastic is done to stop the violence. I do understand that this case is different to the other teenage stabbings but another child will be murdered in a fight this weekend, maybe next, and we'll all sit here shaking our heads wondering how this could happen. Again.

So don't knock Nero. At least he/she has passion!
Wednesday 4 June 2008 2.54pm
London aye:
Thats exactly what i mean.
It will become worse if we don't do anything.
I'm not saying it's only gangs and youths who kill, but i mean there are so many teenagers killed by who ever did it. It's not right!
Wednesday 4 June 2008 4.12pm
So, Nero, what are your suggestions? - give us 3 to kick it off...
Wednesday 4 June 2008 4.24pm
Jan the old one wrote:
I think they should have knife/gun/detecting thingys in places where they would not be suspected of being, Tescos,Asda,Lidl, or the church where that poor little girl attended. It's been praying on my mind ever since I heard about it..:-(

I have a concern that introducing metal detectors to the doors of supermarkets etc is unlikely to be feasible - think how long it takes to get through check-in security at airports - and that's knowing that one needs to remove coins, belt buckles etc. Any security tool is only effective when competently staffed and monitored. I'm not sure how this could be made to work but would be interested to hear others ideas...
Wednesday 4 June 2008 4.31pm
Just as it has taken generations for us to arrive where we are now in terms of the subject matter, it will take generations to bring about a change. I don't like the phrase but "son of yob" has been used on this very site before, and kind of sums up what I mean.

For years, as a country, we have happily been letting governments legislate away personal responsibility - resulting in an "ain't my job/my problem" attitutde.

Obvisouly bad things have happened all throughout history and always will happen. What is making it worse in 2008 though? I'd love to see a study done on the effect that drugs/drug culture have had on communities and the breakdown thereof.

Where to start bringing on a change for the good though? More and more legislation? National Service? Full time education to 21? I wish I knew.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: