Mei King premises on Snowsfields - what was it

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 4 June 2008 9.55pm
Following on from hydrometer's posting (yummy yummy)...I'm always intreagued when I go to the Mei King on Snowsfields - to the left of the counter are a few tables and chairs where you can eat your takeaway. Does anybody know what the premesis used to be? There are really interesting tiles on the walls. My guess is that it used to be a pie and mash shop but of course I could be totally wrong.

Thursday 5 June 2008 7.10am
I can't remember a pie and mash shop being there, I went to school in snowsfields, it may well have been an ordinary fish shop,as a pie and mash fan there were only two pie and mash shops that i knew about in the local area, one was Manzes, and other one was Joyce's both in tower bridge road, mr joyce had a bad limp and a good heart, he never charged for a 'baby's bowl...mash and licquor only and gave children free orange squash!
Thursday 5 June 2008 8.50pm
Madonna used it last year in one of her videos.
Friday 6 June 2008 7.41pm
Do you mean 'Hung Up'? Don't think it's the Mei King - the interior looks faaaaaaaar too modern!

Mae
Saturday 4 September 2010 6.59pm
Yes, it is definitely the same shop shown in Madonna's Hung Up video.

To answer London Aye's question, it use to be a fish and chip shop in the 80's.
Monday 19 March 2012 9.26pm
Mei King in Snowsfields used to be a fish and chip shop called Barnets and was the best fish and chip shop in the area.In the shop behind and above the chip frier, there used to be a mural of a mermaid and as a kid going in there in the 1950s, thought it was brilliant. It was never a pie and mash shop.
Monday 19 March 2012 9.59pm
Sidney wrote:
Madonna used it last year in one of her videos.

Like a sturgeon......?

Ritay that mural was still there,albeit a little worn,in the late 70s.
Monday 26 March 2012 10.03am
I had not realised that Barnets had two shops in the locale, as my memory was that the fish shop half way down Long Lane was so called......

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: