Bermondsey Street by night- worth a look?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 5 June 2008 5.10pm
Im tired of dragging myself halfway across London for overpriced, pretentious drinks in Kensington, Fulham etc...

I've heard quite a few good reports about Bermondsey St offering enough for a very decent night out, but wanted to get a bit of feedback before committing to a full blown booze up.

All feedback welcome, including any other recommendations for drinks in and around SE1...
Thursday 5 June 2008 7.22pm
Bermondsey Street is over priced and pretentious... the curse of the Time Out cover???
Friday 6 June 2008 7.39am
Oh - it's not that bad. We went out last week, had a few nice drinks in the Garrison on a Friday night - it's a really nice atmosphere, everyone standing outside watching the world go by. We then went for dinner down at Village East, which is full of beautiful young things. I didn't find it too pretentious - we had a lovely meal and the service was spot on.

I also like the open beer garden at the back of the Woolpack, which again has a nice friendly crowd.

It's worth a try - you also have the lovely Hide bar for a nice cocktail if you fancy?
Friday 6 June 2008 8.12am
Slowly but surely becoming a victim of SE1's own success - get there before it is totally Notting Hill Gate-ified! Agree with JGarcia's suggestions.
Friday 6 June 2008 8.57am
Bermondsey St is very different from Notting Hill Gate! More like the quieter bits of Islington (Canonbury end of Upper Street, maybe). I can't really imagine why anyone would trek there for a night out unless either (a) a local, and therefore not exactly trekking, or (b) intent on eating at The Garrison or Village East. It's hardly wild and crazy.
PKM
Friday 6 June 2008 9.19am
There are some nice pubs and restaurants but am not sure its a destination type of place - depends how far you're planning to travel I guess. Then again, if you want to support our local economy, please do.
Friday 6 June 2008 9.37am
If you turn up at the Garrison for a meal without a booking at any kind of social time, be prepared for smirking and incredulous staff (as far as I'm concerned it is a gastropub as it is suitably scruffy, and not a restaurant). Delfina Studios was a fantastic restaurant, unfortunately is no longer open.

A much better bet is Village East any time of the evening. The Britannia pub a few streets to the west is also a gem as a "local".

It is only a 10 minute walk to Shad Thames for some views and the large All Bar One and Conran restaurants if you find Bermondsey Street isn't quite the destination you expect!
Friday 6 June 2008 9.45am
If you are looking for a 'booze up' destination area, with a variety of drinking places within staggering distance of each other then try the environs of Borough Market, which is encircled by the Southwark Tavern, Wheatsheaf, Market Porter, Brew Wharf, The Rake and The Globe - a variety of settings and a comprehensive, ever changing range of beers between them.
Friday 6 June 2008 9.56am
I correct myself - Delfina appears still to be open.
Friday 6 June 2008 10.10am
Delfina's only open Friday evenings and weekday lunchtimes (possibly Sat lunch as well - but I can't remember)

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: