Fly tipping on Chaucer Drive

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 9 June 2008 11.06am
Hello all, does anyone live in the block of flats 18-58 on Chaucer Drive? Or had trouble with fly tippers and can give some advice? Neighbours (such as me) facing the block are noticing lots of fly tipping going on, which I don't think is necessarily coming from the block itself. We've noticed (and challenged) people coming to the site to dump furniture-sofas, tvs, prams, etc etc around the wheelie bins. Its especially bad when it looks like a landlord or owner has done a refurbishment and the place is filled with rubbish. I joined the local Streetleader scheme which reports fly tipping and graffitti etc and the council does occasionally take it away. However Southwark says it can do nothing to prevent people tipping as the block is run by a management company. Anyone got any thoughts on this?
Monday 9 June 2008 11.24am
Put up a dummy CCTV camera on your block along with a sign saying fly-tippers will be prosecuted? It may not be 100% effective, but it might make people think. Or you could invest in a working CCTV system and, in colloboration with the local police, work to catch repeat offenders.

Monday 9 June 2008 11.51am
We have a big problem with this in our street (Henley Drive) as well.
My theory is that a lot of the problems are caused by landlords who don't ensure the flats they let out are cleared out properly at the end of a tenancy, which would extend to telling their new tenants what the council will, and will not, remove via the regular bin collection.
We have the additional problem of the council saying that our road is private and that the removal of other people's crapola must be authorised by our managing agents, for a charge.
I think there is a big hole in the council's waste removal offer here. Rather than piecemeal collection of fly-tipped junk, a monthly, street by street, "stick it all here on this date and we'll take it away" amnesty would go a long way to fixing the problem.
Monday 9 June 2008 2.37pm
I live in the area too (although not in the flats) and I have noticed it getting worse again (it did improve for a while). Is there anyway of finding out who the management company is for the building and then going to them direct to complain, if you can't find anyone in the flats through here is it possible to put a note though one of the doors and ask someone to contact you.
Monday 9 June 2008 3.41pm
Thanks all. I got back to Southwark to ask them why they have seen fit to put fly tipping notices above the bins re: Carmenes82's suggestion but don't regard it as council's responsibility. I might look into the cctv thing. I remember a post in an old thread which mentioned the management compnay's name and can look for that. Meanwhile i am thinking of putting a notice through the door of the building but also alerting neighbours to the problem. A neighbour did remonstrate with a chap he caught dumping furniture (and I went out to back him up). But maybe if it is a bunch of us then it doesn't just look like some old busybody (ie me-well youngish busybody). Simon Hughes was helpful the last time we had a big problem, writing to Southwark's head of environment. So maybe he might be interested in investigating this loophole, as McQueen rightly calls it. There is a huge wasted empty carpark at the back and a dumping amnesty spot might be a good idea there. All that's needed is a fence to block off the bins so people get the message. Getting Southwark to collect it every time, which they will, actually encourages people to dump stuff in the first place, but what can we do?
Monday 9 June 2008 4.42pm
Fly tipping is is done by people who try to avaoid paying money to have their rubbish removed and/or who are often too lazy to arrange this.

The council will not take bulk rubbish away as part of their regular waste removal service, BUT they will take household items if they are informed and it is correctly arranged, with up to 6 removals per address per year.

Management comapnies are not responsible for taking away this rubbish, except in the event that nobody can be found to prosecute....obviously this is often the case and therefore the management comapany has to get involved and pass the cost on to all the service charge basically these people are stealing from you.

Any deterants will obviously help, such as CCTV, but again there are cost implications. Please try to get these peoples' car/van/lorry registartions and then approach your local enviromenatl service and the police. Fines are now heavy and if you have some kind of proof this can help.

If it is simply lazy or ignorant tennats/landlords not removing their waste then, again if you have some proof, the management comapny can remove the waste and charge it back to the individual flat owner rather than everyone.

Basically it all comes down to observation and proof of who did what. The council and management company are just intermidiaries, with little power up front and really don't have much responsibility, except as a back up to what has to happen first.
Monday 9 June 2008 8.43pm
I live on Chaucer Drive, in one of the flats, and I think they're all managed by the same two companies, one is Quadron Properties, the other is Woods Management (don't have the contact details just at the mo, but can get them if necessary).

If I notice anyone dumping stuff I'll go out there with my digital camera.
Tuesday 10 June 2008 4.27pm
Urbanite raises some interesting issues regarding responsibility. It looks like the rest of the neighbours will have to be vigilant and take pics but people are quite speedy and canny-guess that's why its called FLY tipping. I often arrive home or get up to find new and unusual elements added to the pile. If you get any useful pics JonR, let me know and we can explore the catching-them-at-it option.
Monday 30 June 2008 4.10pm
Lets hope Southwark council don't decide to use a hidden camera
Wednesday 27 August 2008 11.31am
more fly tipping seems to be occuring on the path between Chaucer Drive and Rolls Rd. MrsR contacted Southwark Council who said that they will not clear up fly tipping here as it is not on council property, but on private property. MrsR said that as there are (council owned) rubbish bins next to the path, and the fly tipping then it counts as council property. They were having none of it. However, when she asked if they would come and do a bulky collection, they said that was fine. They stated that they'd come and pick up the bulky items for disposal.

I'll try and keep a look out, and take photographs or perpetrators if I can.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: