local fitness facilities

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 13 November 2003 4.49pm
For those wishing to treat their body as a temple and store up the brownie points before the Christmas blow-out or gravity takes its toll there is a very cost effective gym / sports facility available to locals at the London South Bank Uni. Sports Centre , between London Road / Keyworth St. There are various membership deals [e.g, top whack for external members is currently 155 for a year or 138 just to use the fitness suite.] and the equipment is good - though the changing facilities are not as comfy as one might find in private clubs in the area, a relatively small price to pay in every respect.

Apologies if this has been publicised before - I couldn't find any reference to it - see y'all down there!?

Friday 14 November 2003 10.28am
Thats a really good deal. I have let my membership lapse at Top Notch because they are quite expensive and not very good. I shall hot foot it down to the South Bank this weekend. Thanks Jane.
Friday 14 November 2003 4.33pm
I looked on their web site for more info, but the page seems dead. This does indeed sound like quite a deal. Can you tell us more about the hours/facilities? My boyfriend and I were just talking about joining somewhere cheap and this may be just the thing.
Friday 14 November 2003 4.38pm
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/sports/fitness.htm

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 14 November 2003 5.27pm
Don't go to Top Notch.
I've just got rid of my membership there which cost 55 per month. I'm now at LA Fitness at Victoria (not SE1 I know) and that's 5 a month cheaper and you get towels, yoga and pilates (no extra charge) regular supervised training sessions and they also have a nice pool.
Friday 14 November 2003 5.48pm
James, thanks for providing the link - I couldn't get through on their web site and was dreading the prospect of compiling all the details to include here! LSBU may not have a pool or fluffy towels and tissues in the changing rooms, but it IS great value. I'll be the one wobbling around on one of the rowing machines......
Friday 14 November 2003 6.01pm
what we really need is a decent swimming pool. Since the demise of the elephant and castle pool we have nothing in the area, yet we are bombarded with messages from the government to stop eating junk food, stop smoking, don't drive etc etc. but no positive action for improvement from public finance. The choice we are left with seems to be local and very expensive fitness clubs with perhaps a tiny 12m pools or not-so-local but affordable council run centres that are uniformly grotty. St. Georges over on the Highway in particular has a muggers delight for an entrance after dark. and the changing rooms filthy. With all the extra money coming in with the new developments we should have a decent Health Centre, to serve the new community

Saturday 15 November 2003 2.41pm
Agree re: swimming pool.
Where is St George's with the dodgy entrance, though? (Just so we can avoid it)

Re: gyms/firness, though, don't forget Colombo St Centre- cheap & helpful staff, & not all full of beautiful slim people in sexy leotards. (Well, OK, some people may be pit off by their absence, but it's reassuring for lumps like me)
Monday 17 November 2003 10.38am
St Georges is half way along the Highway on the other side of Tower Bridge. Not SE1, I know, but an easy cycle or drive to get there.

It is an interesting building of the 1960's 'Brave New World' type. The place was obviously designed by an engineer who was so delighted to get the opportunity to prove that using concrete he could suspend millions of tonnes of water 5m above the ground he forgot about basic design. It looks terrible and the entrance is tucked around the back. ( it also is very run down, which is my original complaint about public pools)
Tuesday 18 November 2003 7.36pm
I have just joined Topnotch. They are currently offering a free three day trial and I tried it out first before I joined. Its got a lovely pool and facilitiies and it seems a really good friendly club.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: