GPs (again)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 13 June 2008 3.25pm
I used to be registered @ the New Mill Street Dr's Surgery but got 'deducted' from the list as I complained* about the Dr not turning up for appointments. It would seem this is a one way street, you're expected to be on time, but when the shoe is on the other foot you're supposed to live with it.

Anyhow, as I'm now Dr less I need to re-register. Does anyone have any experience of the Parker's Row Family practice or the one Alfred Salter Medical Centre?

*in case you're wondering I wasnt violent, disruptive or anything like that. All I did was write a polite letter.
Friday 13 June 2008 3.46pm
I used to be at Parker's Row and found the appointment booking system to be next to useless - you could only book for the next couple of days ahead, so whenever I called, no appointments were available or I had to spend hours trying to get through along with all the other patients trying to book at the same time. When I asked the practice manager whether he considered altering the booking system so that patients could book a few weeks in advance for appointments, he asserted that the PCT would not allow it (which was rubbish and entirely about filling quotas - i.e. being able to say to the PCT that all patients got an appointment within 2 days of asking for one). I found the nurse there to be incredibly insensitive and rude. I also found that one of the doctors was entirely dismissive of what turned out to be a quite serious health complaint. As soon as I could I moved surgeries and went to Decima Street, which were always excellent and professional. I have no connection with Decima Street. I moved again and am now at Princess Street, who I've also found to be very good. Nothing could be as bad as Parker's Row, although it may have altered in the three years since I was a patient there.
Friday 13 June 2008 3.57pm
hellsbells wrote:
I used to be at Parker's Row and found the appointment booking system to be next to useless - you could only book for the next couple of days ahead, so whenever I called, no appointments were available or I had to spend hours trying to get through along with all the other patients trying to book at the same time. When I asked the practice manager whether he considered altering the booking system so that patients could book a few weeks in advance for appointments, he asserted that the PCT would not allow it (which was rubbish and entirely about filling quotas - i.e. being able to say to the PCT that all patients got an appointment within 2 days of asking for one). I found the nurse there to be incredibly insensitive and rude. I also found that one of the doctors was entirely dismissive of what turned out to be a quite serious health complaint. As soon as I could I moved surgeries and went to Decima Street, which were always excellent and professional. I have no connection with Decima Street. I moved again and am now at Princess Street, who I've also found to be very good. Nothing could be as bad as Parker's Row, although it may have altered in the three years since I was a patient there.

Thanks for the feedback, Decima claim I'm not within their catchment area! I'm confounded by the random nature of GP provision in this country.
Friday 13 June 2008 4.01pm
Ah, in London the catchment area for a surgery can be a few streets only - so many people, not enough NHS doctors...
Thursday 19 June 2008 8.10pm
I was at Mill Street and left because the one and only doctor wouldn't treat me for anything. Ear infection, kidney infection, wouldn't even examine me. Two NHS consultant's wrote to him asking him to prescribe me a medicine and he refused because it would cost money.

No one seems to be in Decima's catchment area as far as I can tell, I'm only a few streets away too.

I am at Parkers Row and sympathize with your appointment issues. They aren't great when you eventually manage to get an appointment either.

I suspect that round here in this day and age there isn't anything better.

If I'm really ill I go to the Medicentre at Waterloo. The only trouble is this runs up your credit card.
Friday 20 June 2008 2.16pm
Falmouth Road Group Practice seem to be making the best of a difficult job. I registered there 2+ years ago and in that time I have seen two of the partner GPs (one of whom I would never consult again and who waiting room gossip informs me is fairly universally unpopular!), two of the salaried GPs and one of the nurses. I have always been able to get an appointment quickly and, apart from one bad experience with GP mentioned above, my treatment has been excellent. It's a fairly big practice with male and female GPs (old and young), a counselling service, nurses etc. I recommend. Their catchment area covers a lot of Borough and down towards Elephant and Castle.
Sunday 22 June 2008 4.09pm
Davies wrote:
I was at Mill Street and left because the one and only doctor wouldn't treat me for anything. Ear infection, kidney infection, wouldn't even examine me. Two NHS consultant's wrote to him asking him to prescribe me a medicine and he refused because it would cost money.
No one seems to be in Decima's catchment area as far as I can tell, I'm only a few streets away too.

I am at Parkers Row and sympathize with your appointment issues. They aren't great when you eventually manage to get an appointment either.

I suspect that round here in this day and age there isn't anything better.

If I'm really ill I go to the Medicentre at Waterloo. The only trouble is this runs up your credit card.

Dr Campion? If Yes, then I had similar issues. I questioned his diagnosis and asked for a referral... even though it was going to be privately funded he didn't want to do it... the Consultant wasn't impressed.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: