Best pubs in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 14 June 2008 3.42pm
Hi all
I've just moved into SE1, and wondered whether you've got any advice on where to find the best pubs in the area.

I'm looking for "proper" pubs, not chromed to death, that :

- sell good beer
- have some character
- aren't too loud
- are located (ideally) within walking distance from junction of Blackfriars Rd/The Cut

Thanks!
Saturday 14 June 2008 6.03pm
What about The Ring? That's not too far from the junction of Blackfriars Rd/The Cut.

Also there's the King's Head down Roupell St - about 5 minutes' walk away. And the White Hart, on Gt Suffolk St near Union St.
Saturday 14 June 2008 6.54pm
reece wrote:
What about The Ring?

I spotted that one. I saw a sign outside saying it is sited opposite the venue where boxing started in 1910 - I thought boxing started at least a couple of hundred years ago! Perhaps modern-rules boxing started there?

Thanks for your other suggestions, I'll have a look.

Does anyone have other favourite places to suggest?

Any historic pubs with quality beer and a good atmosphere?
Saturday 14 June 2008 7.38pm
When you say sell good beer, do you mean real ales?
Why not give The Stage Door a try, they are located round the back of The Old Vic and sell consistently good real ales. They also have live music on a Saturday and Sunday evenings.
The ring is OK, and also try the Prince Albert, again real ales are good, especially if you like to watch sport.
I agree, TheWhite Hart sell good real ales, as does The Charles Dickens in Union Street. In fact The Charles Dickens is in the CAMRA good beer guide and usually has about 6 well kept real ales on draught.
There are lots of good pubs in the area that are listed on this forum, other good ones if you are prepared to walk a bit are The Lord Clyde off of Marshalsea Road, The Royal Oak in Tabard Street, The Mad Hatter Hotel, Stamford Street.
If you are feeling touristy, go to the Founders Arms on the river, next to the Tate modern. Although Young's beer is not one of my first choices, they also sell Charles Wells Bombardier which is one of my favourites; in fact I was there last Sunday afternoon.
You are very lucky to live around here; there are pubs to cater for all tastes.
Saturday 14 June 2008 10.50pm
Jambop wrote:
reece wrote:
What about The Ring?

I spotted that one. I saw a sign outside saying it is sited opposite the venue where boxing started in 1910 - I thought boxing started at least a couple of hundred years ago! Perhaps modern-rules boxing started there?

The Marquess of Queensberry allegedly wrote the modern rules for the sport of boxing above The Ring according to Wikipedia.
Sunday 15 June 2008 5.13am
hydrometer wrote:
When you say sell good beer, do you mean real ales?

Yes, most definitely prefer real ales!

Thanks all for the recommendations. I might have a pint in a couple of them this lunchtime.
Zoe
Sunday 15 June 2008 7.51am
I would recommend The Rose and Crown, which is opposite Colombo Street Sports Centre (walk down Hatfields, right at Meymott Street, left and it's ahead of you)

It's easy walking distance from The Cut, and is a great pub. You can also sit out the back when the weather is nice. The couple who manage it are great, and it's just got a really nice atmosphere, with good food and drink.
Sunday 15 June 2008 12.35pm
As you walk around, you will find some of the pubs are closed at weekends or close early. Obviously due to the fact they rely on the weekday trade from the businesses around here. But there are still many open, you just have to hunt them out.
Monday 16 June 2008 12.32pm
TRY

THE LORD CLYDE
CLENHAM ST
Just off Marshalsea Road/ Junction Southwark Bridge Road

Good all fashion family run pub, - best beer in the area
Monday 16 June 2008 2.22pm
For real ale, The Royal Oak is superb. If you are looking for an unusual selection of beers, try The Rake near Borough Market. Nearer to Waterloo, the King's Arms on Roupell Street is excellent.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: