Accident on Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 16 June 2008 9.49am
As noted in a thread last month, it is very treacherous crossing Long Lane from City Walk across to Wilds Rents - where the deli on the corner is. This has been made worse by the exterior scaffolding now around the building fronting Long Lane.

Today a pedestrian has been knocked down - probably caused by this bend and the fact that a scaffolding lorry is parked blocking the road to one-way traffic only and obscuring the view further.

Can I urge people to ask the council for a pedestrian crossing at this point - sadly saying it is dangerous has been proven correct.

I don't know how badly the person was injured as I just saw te ambulance and police in attendance.
Monday 16 June 2008 10.42am
I feel sad for the person run over. Without speculating on the cause of this accident, I would like to point out that there is a crossing already less than 100 meters from this shop, in many other countries it is illegal for pedestrians to cross except at designated crossings,whilst I would be unwilling to see this happen here. I would like to think that people would either use a crossing or look very carefully before crossing a road if there is something blocking their vision. Speculation on the causes of accidents has become common in these threads, not always a helpful thing, though I don't doubt the sincerity of the poster.
Monday 16 June 2008 1.25pm
The crossing on the corner of Weston Street has been suspended because of the roadworks.
Monday 16 June 2008 1.56pm
kingsley, are you sure you have your facts right and are not just using this to add weight to your own opinion that a crossing is needed here? Whilst you may or may not be right about the need for a crossing at this point I beleave the accident victim was a cyclist rather than a pedestrian,or at least the guy getting into the ambulance for treatment was wearing a cycle helmet so i assume it was But I did not see the accident so like you I do can not for sure what happened. As the guy climbed into the ambulance with out help It would appear that he was not too seriously hurt
Monday 16 June 2008 3.55pm
Just as a general and anecdotal point, I think traffic goes too fast along Long Lane (especially Black Cabs). There used to be a zebra crossing near the Crosby Row/Long Lane junction that was removed some time last year. So, I would argue that crossings all the way along Long Lane should be reviewed. Long Lane is used by lots of people on foot, bikes and in cars, as well as being a bus route for the fairly unreliable C10. It would be a shame if cars and lorries are allowed to take absolute priority along this road.
Monday 16 June 2008 4.46pm
It may well be that Long Lane should be looked at again as all the new developments have gone up since the original crossings were laid. However Long lane is the A2198 and a designated main "A" through road for traffic. The policy of TFL appears to have concentrated traffic onto these type of main roads by altering one way systems (Tabard Street) and blocking older local main roads (Trinity Street), and stopping what they called "rat runs" (I believe this idea of rat runs to be redundant since there are now huge amounts of residential conversions on the old main roads). This may have freed up some local areas for bikes and pedestrians, but the traffic has to go somewhere and has to have priority sometimes, as in bus lanes, and cycle lane, or London would cease to be a place of business and pleasure. It's time Boris reviewed TFL's policy on a number of issues and looked into the safe re-use of ALL local roads to alleviate congestion on the main roads.
Monday 16 June 2008 5.57pm
Apologies if my facts were wrong - I saw the ambulance and the police and was told by the deli staff that it was a pedestrian.

It doesn't alter the fact that, with all the developments and especially the volume of people coming through from City Walk, that a pedestrian crossing here would be heavily used.

The future Recall development will only add to this !
Monday 16 June 2008 6.35pm
Correction to my previous post! Just been to yoga class in Wilds Rents on foot from my flat in Tennis Street - i.e. most of the way along Long Lane. There *are* zebra crossings by Crosby Row and then again by Wilds Rents and then just before bottom of Bermondsey Street. The one that has disappeared (currently) is opposite the Empire Square development, just east of Tennis Street. I agree with Jerry that TFL should review the whole area in terms of traffic flow. I am always (pleasantly) surprised by the number of pedestrians, day and night, along Long Lane, and the number of cyclists. As I said though, the amount of motorised traffic is alarming, and alarmingly fast for a *narrow* A-road, and it's a shame that the C10 is often a long wait, and often overcrowded when it comes.
Tuesday 17 June 2008 1.15pm
Long Lane is very difficult for drivers too. Dark at night, lots of turnings etc for cars, bikes people to come out of. I just wonder if it should not get the same treatment as Abbey Street, 20 mph and raised crossings. I am not always in favour of humps, they force you to brake and accelerate too often,not good for pollution, but they might be worth it here. But maybe you cannot put them in on A roads.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: