E&C: back to the drawing board?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 52
James Hatts Wednesday 12 November 2008 10.52am
Boris Johnson has just admitted at Mayor's Question Time - in answer to deputy mayor Kit Malthouse AM - that he is IN FAVOUR of making MORE use of pedestrian subways at major road junctions such as Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
williamn Wednesday 12 November 2008 1.31pm
Maybe he'd like to come and live in Elephant and Castle and have to actually use them everyday - and maybe at 3am too.
James Hatts Wednesday 12 November 2008 4.58pm
Kit Malthouse started by talking about the under-used subways at Baker Street and Trafalgar Square and then asked:

KIT MALTHOUSE: Would a sensible thing be for us to explore the greater use of subways at our major junctions where we can both accommodate the requirements of pedestrians and the car user at the same time?

BORIS JOHNSON: I think you're right and obviously it's something that TfL are actively looking at. It should give the lie to the idea that we are not persuing bold and imaginative transport infrastructure projects. We certainly are.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
MarkR Wednesday 12 November 2008 5.30pm
Pedestrians! Know your place!

I feel a need for direct action. The inhabitants of E&C should converge on the roundabout one busy morning and demonstrate to Boris how we feel about being confined to the underworld.
Rambling Phil Wednesday 12 November 2008 5.37pm
I'm a pedestrian. My requirement is a safe, hygienic and easy to navigate means of crossing the road, in sight of other people and my end point.

Empirically, the subways at Marble Arch and the Elephant do not meet these requirements.

Putting the cars in tunnels would be better. Their occupants would not be inconvienced by lurking ne'er do-wells or the large puddles that seem to form in subways.

That would be a "bold and imaginative" infrastructure project.
jackie rokotnitz Wednesday 12 November 2008 6.12pm
Smart thinking, Rambling Phil
TAK Wednesday 12 November 2008 10.11pm
MarkR wrote:
Pedestrians! Know your place!
I feel a need for direct action. The inhabitants of E&C should converge on the roundabout one busy morning and demonstrate to Boris how we feel about being confined to the underworld.

I agree this whole thing is ridiculous and action is needed or it will drag on for another 15 years.

Maybe it really is time for the current and future residents of Elephant and Castle to stage some demonstration one morning at the southern roundabout demanding answers from the mayor how this project has become such a joke and at the same time demanding for him to take action now and deliver the long promised improvements.

I'm up for it if others join me - anyone else?
Maybe we could get some local councillors in too for added support and weight....

The Elephant deserves better!
Jerry Flynn Wednesday 12 November 2008 10.25pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Just out of idle curiosity did the residents of Heygate actually want their properties pulled down? When the Aylesbury is pulled down where are all the tenants going? if they can't get it right for the Heygate?

A MORI poll of 1999 is probably the most objective measure of Heygate resident's views - it had a response rate of 48% and concluded 'there appears to be no clear consensus' on the 4 options given. First choices were evenly split over 3 options; 29%,'repair and improve estate'; 32%, 'demolish and rebuild whole estate with fewer homes'; 25%, 'repair and improve the maisonettes, but demolish the high rise'. 63% also said they wanted a new council home on the rebuilt Heygate. In the event none of these options is being pursued - the estate is being demolished and residents rehoused either in current council stock or in the early housing sites, none of which are on the Heygate footprint. No new council homes are being built.

Southwark is demolishing something like 10% of its entire council housing stock when it demolishes the Aylesbury and Heygate and there will be no net gain of social rented housing in the schemes that replace them, so the question is just as you say - where are people going to go?
williamn Wednesday 12 November 2008 10.42pm
I'm up for a protest!
Surely the reason that the subways at Trafalgar Sq and Baker Street are underused is that people prefer to cross above ground - just witness people risking life and limb to cross the road above ground at Elephant rather than use the subways.
TAK Wednesday 12 November 2008 11.19pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Just out of idle curiosity did the residents of Heygate actually want their properties pulled down? When the Aylesbury is pulled down where are all the tenants going? if they can't get it right for the Heygate?

That would indeed be very interesting to find out. I had a little venture around the Heygate last Sunday afternoon. To my surprise, all the stairs and lifts are fully accessible to anyone, no such thing as security doors. Seeing this I am not surprised if there really were issues with crime etc.
Anyway, I managed easy to get up to the 11th floor and enjoy the view over Elephant and Castle and the rest of town.
At the same time I feel sorry for anyone that's now left there - must be probably 50% of flats that are now boarded up - must be quite ghostly.....
Current: 11 of 52

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions