Bike theft in Chaucer Drive

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 17 June 2008 11.36am
Hi all, first post on this forum so please be gentle.

Just to let you know there was a gang of 3 blokes around 3am this morning who tried to steal my bike that was chained to a lamp post. They were able to cut through all but the last strand of a cable lock (which subsequently just gave up anyway) before my girlfriend and I woke up and were able to scare them off. They drifted back at 5am to finish the job but the bike was inside by then.

I live in the private state of Chaucer Drive behind Tescos on OKR. I would advise caution to all bike owners in the area.

c-m-s
Tuesday 17 June 2008 4.51pm
Thanks for your post. I had two bikes stolen from the top end of Old Kent Road on Saturday in broad daylight. I went out at 11am and they were gone when I returned at 5. Again, cut straight through locks. Nothing unusual in all this I suspect but still irritating to say the least. I bought them second hand to try to avoid them being stolen but it seems there is a vibrant market in second hand bikes.
Tuesday 17 June 2008 5.09pm
Overnight, the only place to keep your bike is in your flat or house. Period.

And for securing your bike during the day, don't even think about spending less than 50 on a lock...
Tee
Tuesday 17 June 2008 7.26pm
Absolutely, i only keep my bike in my flat. A year or so ago, some thieving, lowlife, scum, pikey, gyppo, benefit-grabbing, arse broke into our block's out-house and stole my bike. It was a cheapish one, but i loved it so.
Tuesday 17 June 2008 7.52pm
Tee wrote:
thieving, lowlife, scum, pikey, gyppo

Tee, I don't care either way, but do you have any idea how offensive these terms are to some? - I guess not.

Remember, you words here are visible to all on the Internet!
Tuesday 17 June 2008 8.39pm
I would never leave my bike outside overnight.
There are two bikes outside Boughton House opposite with only the frames remaining padlocked to the railings. All the wheels gone.
You could go for a cardboard one:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7457220.stm

Alternatively just get a thin cardboard saddle with a sharp spike support so the thief is impailed.
Wednesday 25 June 2008 9.49am
Thanks for the comments, to round off this thread and as an update, I emailed customer services at Kryptonite, the makers of the lock, by trundling through their weir website. They have offered to replace the lock for free by returning the old one to them.

OK, the thieves got through it the first time but having bought another lock hopefully it will be more deterrent to the casual thief. Unfortunately, no space to keep indoors otherwise I agree with others that would be the best solution.
Wednesday 25 June 2008 10.10am
The police advise bike owners to mark their bike with a UV pen and to take a note of the frame number, so that, (if the thieves are caught, the bike can be positively identified.
Friday 27 June 2008 8.03am
good advice

sadly i have all the frame numbers of all the 6 uv marked bikes i have had stolen in the last 4 years

maybe one day my ship will come in and i can run my own dulwich park style bike hire concession

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: