Christmas Day

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 17 November 2003 1.36pm

I am very new to SE1, and wondered if anyone knows of any pubs that are open on Christmas day? Having invited my in-laws and sister (TLMJJ) over for Christmas dinner, I think it might be useful to have somewhere to run when six people in one small flat becomes too much.

Thanks very much.
Monday 17 November 2003 2.06pm
My sister's first post, and it's about pubs.

Monday 17 November 2003 2.26pm

there's more than one *sigh*
Monday 17 November 2003 2.38pm
What finer topic for a first post? Try asking The Rose , thats the most likely I can think of. Its a good winter pub too as it is very cosy with a fire. Plus it has a pool table too, so you can introduce a competitive element - an excellent idea at a gathering of family at Christmas.
Monday 17 November 2003 3.11pm
Thanks for this, I shall give The Rose a call now to find out.

And sis, I am doing this for you and my in-laws! As you well know, I am not a big drinker.....
Monday 17 November 2003 3.26pm
which Rose is that?

Monday 17 November 2003 3.28pm
Snowsfields. I don't know if it does open, it just seems the sort of place that might.
Monday 17 November 2003 4.39pm
I wouldn't be surprised if you find that you can get a drink in a few places at lunchtime, but not in the evening (i.e. the time when you really want to get out of the flat).

Otherwise, what about somewhere that's got residents and will have the bar open for them?? When I used to visit my parents in their old house (pretty rural, plenty of old people, not prime territory for pubs of any kind on any day), the last resort used to be to be very polite and negotiate a couple of drinks in amongst the resident dowagers staying in the local hotel.

For SE1 the options could range from the Tower Thistle to the Dover Castle. Do put up a post if you find somewhere. Stuff like that's always good to know.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 18 November 2003 7.54am
brilliant idea why didnt i think of that? especially when my tiny living room had to accommodate 3generations and one of them in a wheelchair!

Thursday 20 November 2003 11.50pm
Hi Annie,

Fully understand why you would feel the need to escape to the boozer on Christmas day. Relatives tend to have that effect.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: