Memories of Snowsfields area (was: 'new')

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Friday 20 June 2008 8.30am
Hi All
I am new to this site,i have not lived in bermondsey for about 40years i was living in stevenage in hertfordshire,now im living in the wirral near liverpool, i would love to meet up with old friends of both sexys im stan webster i lived in guiness bldgs snowsfields if any one remembers me please get in contact
you all take care please
Friday 20 June 2008 10.55am
Hello medicalman...I went to snowsfields school when the old custard powder factory was next door...( monk and glass) you may be able to answer a question that was asked some time back on this forum..Was it always a fish shop in the small parade of shops?

Do you remember the bomb ruins near london bridge,guys, and the old pub on the end of bermondsey street?

jan :-)
Friday 20 June 2008 2.16pm
Hi Jan...I went to snowfields school to oppersite guiness buildings were i lived, yes Jan it was a fish and chip shop in the parade of shops every friday mum used to go over there and get fish and chips,I also remember the bomb site by guys me and friends used to play over there a lot guys and girls ;o)and the pub, friends and me went in there a lot to play the juke box,we also went into the horseshoe and wheatsheaf near guiness buildings,i also got my first job at the contenental sausage factory at the back of snowfields school,so were abouts did you live Jan? were did you hang out.Hope to hear from you soon. may i have your e-mail address please.
Stan x
Friday 20 June 2008 2.53pm
I like the idea of meeting up with "old friends of both sexys"...
Friday 20 June 2008 3.28pm
Hi Longlaner
So were abouts do you live do you live in bermondsey? i lived there 40 odd years ago, and i no its changed,
stan
Monday 23 June 2008 10.12am
Hi Mark and others

I am in Australia and saw you were talking about Guinesses Buildings.
I used to visit my Nan and Uncle in C block and another Uncle in B block back in the 40's 50's and 60's.I also had another uncle living in the airey of the block next to the Rose. My Mother and her brothers went to Snowsfield school back in the early twenties and my cousins went there in the 40' - 50's. I would love a photo of the buildings as they are these days . I have read about them being gutted and remodeled but cnnot find any photos of them. Maybe someone may remember some members of the family the name was Bussley my Grandad and two brothers were killed in W W 1 and our Nan brought the five of them up in no 70c block. I think some of the younger set live in the buildings now and would love to hear from anybody with news of any family members. Hope to hear from someone soon

Trish
Friday 11 July 2008 5.01am
I have just joined this interesting forum while looking on-line for photos of Bermondsey. My father was born in the Guinness Buildings, Snowsfield in 1909 and went to the Snowsfield School. Does anyone have photos of the Guinness Buildings? If so, I would love to see them. Trish, like you, I now live in Australia and am looking back to my origins. What annoys me is that I once worked in Southwark Bridge Rd and never took that short journey to have look at the ancestors' places. But then, when you are young, you are more interested in the present and future than the past, aren't you? All the same, I am still kicking myself.
Friday 11 July 2008 8.56am
Hope no-one minds me moving slightly farther afield than snowsfields, but anyone got memories of hartleys jam factory when it was a jam factory?
Friday 11 July 2008 11.24am
Bren and Trish, go into Friends re-united, tap in snowsfields school and there is a photo of a class in front of guinesses, or rather part of them!

They were a storey taller, I am sure they sheared off the top..they never had lifts either!

I left snowsfield in 1955, you could cut down an alley to the left of the school which would bring you out in an alley which had a spice factory, you could smell lovely oriental smells mixing with drains..
that alley led out into weston street, the alley has been snitched by the developers and incorporated into the new flats, but it is still a southwark highway if you wanted to push a point..
Sunday 13 July 2008 6.15am
Bless you Jan, I shall take a look. It never occurred to me to look there. Sometimes, I think my brain is in a constant state of fade.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: