Pullens Solstice Celebration this weekend

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 20 June 2008 8.42am
The Pullens Estate SE17 - between Walworth & Kennington Park Roads, near the Elephant&Castle - hosts a mini festival in Iliffe Yard (entrance on Crampton Street) with free live music all Saturday afternoon, 2-10pm.

There's Jazz from WKGB; the world music of Native Horizon; chilled vibes of G.Delic; Daisy - a young singer/songwriter - & Archie; live karaoke from The Jazz Cigarettes; and, closing the show, the space rock of Dream Machine.

Tonight, the event will be launched with a unique 'sonification' of the moment of summer solstice by John Eacott, scored for for marimba, vibraphone and 2 celli. The musicians will read music generated by computer software, using astronomical data from the gradual slowing down of the Sun's progression toward the north pole, until it halts altogether at 23:59, before resuming its march south.

Acoustic and unamplified, this performance, lasting half an hour, will be lit by the orange sodium of the yard's security lights. You're invited to treat it as a midnight picnic, BYO chairs and rugs and food and drink. As it's in the open air, there are no smoking restrictions.

If wet, the solstice sonfication will take place in the Pullens Centre, where sangria is served from 11pm, prior to the performance at 23:44.

For more info and a pdf copy of the programme, e-mail pullensevents@googlemail.com.
Friday 20 June 2008 10.58am
Pullens buildings, I am surprised the council did not get away with pulling the lot down..Well done for bringing life back into the area with your plans, I wish I was in london this week-end..:-(

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: