Shipp's Tearooms

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 20 June 2008 3.23pm
Anyone know why this place on Park Street has suddenly closed? Notice on window indicates some sort of dispute with trustees of Borough Market regarding the lease. Never been in cafe myself, but intrigued nonetheless ...

Related news & features

Friday 20 June 2008 3.52pm
It's about their permission to serve hot food, I think. Possibly the licence they were granted was for takeaway only, and they've violated this. That's what I heard, anyway, but can't guarantee it.
Monday 23 June 2008 9.41am
It's nothing but their own fault if they can't abide by the terms of a lease they signed...

Their website says the trustees ordered them to shut down, which is not exactly true. They could presumably just alter their business so that it complies with their agreed terms.
Monday 23 June 2008 10.03am
Its a shame - I thought it was lovely in there.
Monday 23 June 2008 9.02pm
It may well have been "lovely". And the Shipp's owner may well claim that "it was fulfilling a need, and is encouraging disappointed customers to contact the Borough Market management to make their feelings known". But if they failed to comply with the terms of the lease, that's about it.

I suppose if they were very hypothetically dealing in crack cocaine, they would also have been "fulfilling a need", but it would be pointless "encouraging their disappointed customers to contact the Management to make their felings known".

Any roads, I like cream teas, so let's hope they get this thing resolved. And get a good solicitor. Good luck to them. But keep it legal.
Sunday 29 June 2008 11.26am
I had a brief chat with the owner. Apparently the problem is that he has a retail license (in his words 'we could legally open an Ann Summers shop here') but his lease does not allow him to have seating/tables. He believes the same situation applies to other shops around the market e.g. Monmouth Coffee but is convinced he's is being singled out due to an earlier legal battle he won against 'someone' - he was a bit vague on who this was but obviously someone/persons high up in the market management.
Sunday 29 June 2008 4.16pm
It all felt a bit twee for me but clearly many people loved it and at least it wasn't a chain. Having said which, your licence is your licence. So I'd echo Nick Harding - Good luck to them. But keep it legal

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: