St Thomas' Street Railway Arches

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 20 June 2008 2.28pm
Hello-I can't seem to find any information anywhere about what's happening to the railway arches that run along St Thomas' Street to Druid Street. There's scaffolding, but some of the businesses are not affected while others are.

Does anyone know what plans there are?
Friday 20 June 2008 2.30pm
They are creating a new service access ramp up to the railway station level to replace the current ramp next to Southwark Towers which will be part of the construction site for the Shard.

Someone asked me about this recently and I did some searching and found the details here:

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pdf/ld-london_brdg_decdoc.pdf

which says:

"The existing station ramp which is currently used to access the
service area will be included in the new Shard lease demise. To
enable this, a new replacement ramp will be constructed
between arches 59 to 73 on St Thomas Street. The existing
ramp will not be demolished until this structure has been
completed, to ensure that minimal disruption is caused."

"Existing car parking from the car park at the top of
the ramp and leading to the signal box area, used by
rail staff and persons carrying out work at the station,
will be temporarily relocated within the St Thomas
Street arches. The final replacement location is also
within the St Thomas Street arches."

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 20 June 2008 2.32pm
Thanks! That's not much fun though. Perhaps it will be a pretty ramp.
Thursday 30 October 2008 2.43pm
Walking along St Thomas' Street today for the first time in a while I was shocked at the way they've knocked down a section of the arches, presumably to create a wide entrance for the new access ramp. I hope the infill isn't too ugly.

Thursday 30 October 2008 7.58pm
I've been really worried about this. Those arches are rather wonderful with the individually carved capitols and now some undoubtedly hideous bit of cheap ramping is going to destroy them and block up the narrow road. Why not instal a cargo lift or something if they really have to have vehicle access to the station there.
yas
Friday 31 October 2008 6.29pm
I can't believe this either. The arches practically went overnight. I walk by there every day and several months ago I had asked someone at the worksite if they were going to do anything with the arches. I was told by one of the "guards" that they were just clearing out the inside.

Has anyone actually seen or heard of the planning permission specifics? Maybe James has some info?
Friday 7 November 2008 9.37am
Does anyone know what the works in the railway arches of St Thomas Street are for?

I presume that they are unrelated to the Shard of Glass, which is much nearer to London Bridge station itself. They seem to have removed a lot of brickwork in the section between Weston Street/Topnotch and Bermondsey Street. Any idea?

Thanks.

Froggy
Friday 7 November 2008 9.46am
[ Threads merged. Froggy - hopefully your question is answered in the messages above. ]

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: