Newington Butts pawn shop

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 25 June 2008 1.31pm
any information on the old pawn shop opposite the graveyard at Newington Butts
Friday 11 July 2008 7.43pm
Crampton Primary School memories
Went to school there in the sixties,many fond memeories,they moved us up to keyworth street school so they could rebuild, when we came back they had removed the old junlge jim from the playground, but they gave us an indoor swimming pool, Mrs Ploughman was the headmistress and Mr Thomas our head teacher, we used to play football at kennington park and bedlam park,and swim at manor place baths,the elephant was a safe place for children, all i read on the forum is about muggings, stabbings and shootings,its not the people its the enviroment the goverments put us in ( highrises with no open spaces for the kids )living in australia its the same here now.
Saturday 12 July 2008 12.30am
Cheebs - what was the name of your school?
I don't remember the pawn shop (our local one was in Lambeth Walk) but I do remember a furniture shop opposite the graveyard. Called Wheatlands or something like that. Mum used to go there every Saturday to pay off an instalment on the beds she bought for me and my sister. After that we used to go to Tesco at the Elephant and meet my Nan.
Saturday 12 July 2008 11.03am
The message was titled Crampton Primary School memories, but if you try to change the title mid-thread it doesn't show up. I've edited Cheebs' message above for clarity.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 12 July 2008 11.47pm
James, thank you for correcting my last post as i am very new to all this, am very much enjoying this site, having left the elephant 34 years ago with many memories
Monday 14 July 2008 9.26am
Hi Pat,
Still trying to work out how to use the forum i keep answering myself, anyways i went to crampton street primary just of peacock street, then went on to borough beaufoy just of lambeth walk, used to have me pie mash down the walk also me dad worked at the pawnshop harvey & thompson down the walk,glad too be on the forum as it keeps me in touch, can remember the furniture shop next to clock place,and the sweet shop round the corner on draper street before the subways when in, used to live on the corner of crampton st and newington butts opposite churchyard row, the salvation army used to play outside our house on sunday afternoons, wasnt exactly top of the pops.
Monday 14 July 2008 11.28am
my friend used to live in crampton street and when they demolished her house, they had a small play area there...called it ' Mrs Martin's playground!
Monday 14 July 2008 1.22pm
Hi Jan,
Last time i saw our house in crampton st it was still standing in january 1977 it was empty ready for demolition, cant remember the martins, was last home 2006 and they have cut the street in half and changed its name,was suprised to see manor place baths still standing.
Thursday 22 December 2011 7.47am
Hi Jan,

I'm Pat Martin and it was our old house at 77, Crampton Street that was made into "Mrs Martin's Old Back Yard".

We moved from there in the mid to later 1950's, to Long Lane, The Borough.

I'm now 67, but don't who you might remember of my family.... don't know if you're anywhere near my age ?

Would love to hear back from you.
Thursday 22 December 2011 9.43pm
Back in the early 1950's I lived in Danson Road, the Braganza Street end of Manor Place, but all my mates lived around the corner in my nan's street, Tarver Road. We used to play, 'run-outs,' and this covered a wide area northwards, which included Crampton St., Peacock St. etc. etc.
This is where I need some help. I remember a coal yard somewhere in that vicinity and I think it was called, 'Charington's.' You could smell the coal dust from a few streets away and I remember watching the horse drawn carts going in and out of the depot.
Can anyone confirm these memories for me?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: