Draper House playground

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 26 June 2008 12.25pm
Does anybody remember playing on the old bomb site in the early sixties, before wates the builders moved in
with the demolition ball.
Friday 27 June 2008 12.25am
I remember the bomb site, but wasn't allowed to play on it!
Friday 27 June 2008 8.16am
All I remember in that location was the old Baldwins shop which was like stepping back to the 19th century, the parade of shops nearby, not quite sure if there was a shop that purchased odds and sods..a dress shop which introduced a brand new innovative scheme....pay as you wear...

You bought a dress for a staggering 2.10 shillings and they gave you a card to pay off for it..no credit checks then! my mum told me off when she found out..' you dont buy what you cant afford' well it was a weeks wages..Deacon street, all the old shops,with flats above them..the old tenements..and 'ere i go again..waffling!
Tuesday 1 July 2008 10.48am
Hello! We here at BOST have been working on a project called Memory Gardening and have been doing some oral hisotry interviews with local people particularly seeking memories about playing and using the open spaces around here. We want to put on a small exhibition in the autumn and also expand the archive of photos of parks etc around Bankside, including bomb sites as they're the open spaces that are now built on.

We're also going to produce a new leaflet with a map of Bankside open spaces with quotes and 'before' photos to guide people around.

So we're seeking photos! if you've got photos of the area, from 1900 right up to the 1990s e.g. what Mint Street Park looked like before the major works in 2000, or Little Dorrit, street parties, kids playing, all sorts, we'd like to hear from you.

And the bomb site sounds a great place to play...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: