Christening gifts

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 26 June 2008 9.05pm

I've been asked to be a Godmother (hurrah) and need help for some inspiration for an original christening gift (for a girl). I'd like to buy something silver that would be suitable for when she's older (there's not much one can do with a teddy bear box or baby bracelet at age 18 etc). Anyone know what the English equivalent of Tiffany's would be (she's Australian/English but will grow up in Australia so it would be nice to buy her something from here rather than from an American company. Or anyone have any other ideas other than silver trinkets? Thanks you v. much.
Thursday 26 June 2008 9.23pm
No idea about English equivalent shops, but have some other ideas than silver trinkets...

Commission a poem by British author? Buy a painting from somebody gifted at a London art college? An attractive set of rosary beads made from a British fairtrade outlet? A scrap book lovingly made with a space on one side of the page for a picture of her, and on the other side for her ideas and thoughts in life, from age 0 to 100. (Only needs to have 200 pages...!) A beautiful religious icon, to remind her of the commitment you've made for her? A promise to send her one piece of wisdom each year until she's 18?
Friday 27 June 2008 9.57am
Links of London are a good alternative to Tiffany with charm bracelets and charms, you could get the bracelet and then follow up with a new charm each birthday etc. You could buy and adult sized bracelet that she gets on her 18th with the charms etc.
Alternatively I always think books are a great alternative Christening present. A hard back collectors set of Beatrix Potter, Winnie the Pooh, Roald Dahl are all lovely gifts that would be treasured for years and encourage children to read. There is a hard back collectors box set of Harry Potter books too.
Friday 27 June 2008 3.39pm
I'd buy her several cider apple trees, of mixed traditional varieties, on standard (slow-growing) rootstock, which would be cropping nicely by the time she's about 14, and ready for her first cider-fuelled parties.

And I'd use that as an excuse to go pay her a visit the Autumn before so that you can share the picking and pressing together.

But then again, I'm not you......;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 27 June 2008 4.41pm
Okay, I want Ivanhoe as my godfather.
Sunday 29 June 2008 6.01pm
Thank you all so much for your varied suggestions - I've just noticed that I should really have put my query under the "Chatter" section. (Sorry James).

Ivanhoe - I love your idea but, alas, I bought her parents an apple tree and an avacado tree when I was "over there". And, besides, the Ozzie authorities wouldn't let me import any un-indiginous plants in to the country (very strict rules). (A bit rich since most of everything over there is un-indiginous (is that the right term??)

In the end, I visited the London Silver Vaults (fantastic place with, luckily, a hugh variety of prices) and found a very pretty antique silver miniture perfume bottle. It's not quite as old as the European "discovery" of Australia, but I thought it would be nice for her to have something made in London, by a London designer.

Thanks again everyone.
Tuesday 1 July 2008 11.19am
Try the Silver vaults in Holborn. Silversmiths galore there.
Tuesday 1 July 2008 11.38am
aoibhneas wrote:
Okay, I want Ivanhoe as my godfather.
It can be arranged. Only problem is the renouncing evil part ;0)

Tuesday 1 July 2008 8.26pm
renounce evil, embrace apples...
Wednesday 2 July 2008 12.11pm
Wonderful! That could be my new signature line.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: