Amateur theatre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 3 July 2008 1.18pm
Hi,

I've recently moved to SE1 and work in the city. Really love the area !!

I was looking to get involved with some kind of theatre group. I've never acted before but have always been interested. Does anyone know of any groups or workshops etc run locally?

Would also be intereted in meeting fellow city workers living in the area ...

Thanks.
Thursday 3 July 2008 1.21pm
Local amateur theatre groups include the Quay Players who rehearse at St Anne's Church Hall in Thorburn Square and the Network Theatre based in Lower Road underneath Waterloo Station.

There's also the Inner City Players at Lambeth Mission & St Mary's

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 7 July 2008 12.00pm
Lots of theatre/drama courses available at Morley College Westminster Bridge Road - I used to do dramma there. It is a good mix of all ages and backgrounds and generally does not attract the luvvie set unless it has changed in recent years. By attending Morley you would learn acting skills as well as finding a way in to various theatre/drama groups.
Monday 7 July 2008 1.44pm
Welcome to SE1! A great area of London. Many of our club members are either in the theatre or love the theatre and go on a regular basis so you may want to consider joining up. You will probably get to meet a few budding thespians! We are a new small company called The Audience Club based in Southwark. We offer tickets for previews etc at many fringe productions, some West End shows, plays, comedies, concerts and many others for a very reasonable annual membership fee and then a small booking fee per ticket. Let me know if you would like more information.
Jac
Monday 7 July 2008 3.07pm
I have a contact for the Inner City Players and can PM you if you would like it. It has been going 30+years. As James said they are based at the Lambeth Mission on Lmabeth Road. They usually put on 2 shows, the main one just before easter and a smaller one just before Christmas. The main show is always a musical and they start auditons/reheraslas in early Jan. The great thing about this group is that it is open to all- young and old experienced or not and from all back grounds. The main parts are given by audition but as long as you turn up for rehearsels you will always get a part. I have never been in a shwo but have helped with costumes and scenery and my children have done it on several productions and have got a lot from performing along side adults, in shows that are of very good standard and a million miles from school play thype production.
Monday 1 September 2008 4.22pm
Thanks for the information guys. Been offline for a while, so only just seen these. I'll explore these further !
Tuesday 2 September 2008 1.46pm
Hi Aasamani,

I've been involved in the Spread Eagle Players for 5 years now. We rehearse at the old Royal Mint at Tower Hill and perform at the Bridewell Theatre in Blackfriars, not strictly SE1 but only a short hop over the river and there's a good smattering of SE1 residents in the group.

We're celebrating our 120th anniversary next year. We usually do 2-3 shows a year including a panto every other year. We're having open auditions for our next show (Alice in Wonderland/Through the looking glass) on Thursday 18th of September, let me if you want further details.

By the way (shameless plug) we're performing Alan Ayckbourn's 'A Chorus of Disapproval' this Thursday 4th, Friday 5th and Saturday 6th at the Bridewell, more details here: http://www.spreadeagleplayers.org.uk
Tuesday 9 September 2008 3.37pm
Thanks Scamp. I'd love to come and meet someone at Spread Eagle Players, but cant make the 18th. Can I pop in some other day ?
Thursday 11 September 2008 12.02pm
Hi Aasamani,
I'll PM you.
Cheers
Monday 29 March 2010 2.32pm
As this seems to be an oft-referred to thread on Amdram groups in London I'd like to reference the Phoenix Players in Dulwich too. See their website at http://www.phoenixplayers.org.uk

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: