Gyms in the area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
eof
Thursday 3 July 2008 5.51pm
Hello,

I'm going to move to London in September and will live at LSE's Sidney Webb House at Great Dover St. I was wondering if there are any decent gyms in the area? Optimal location would be anywhere between my place and LSE (I'm going to walk).

I only need a place with barbells, dumbbells, some squat racks, benches etc. and which isn't too crowded early in the morning. I noticed that many central London gyms have anything from DJs to high altitude chambers, but I couldn't care less about those.

What should I expect to pay per month?

Thanks in advance.
Thursday 3 July 2008 5.54pm
i suggest you check out some of the many threads regarding gyms elsewhere on this site...there are as many opinions as there are people who post on here!
Thursday 3 July 2008 5.57pm
Given your requirements I think you might find the Colombo Centre up your street. It's not a private, flash gym but has the basics you are looking for and (presumably, but I'm afraid I dont know for sure) at a cheaper price than the commercial alternatives. It can also be on the way from Dover Street to Aldwych. Contact details are available by clinking on the hyperlink.
Thursday 3 July 2008 6.28pm
You will be very near the new Soho Gyms Borough (in Tabard Square). Their primary focus is providing free weights etc but they also run classes etc that the similar more "up-market" chains do.

I think the cost of the main chains (eg Soho, Cannons, Virgin, etc) is c. 75 per month.
Thursday 3 July 2008 6.30pm
King's College London also has a gym in the area that - might be worth considering as they might do a special deal for fellow students. I was a member a few years ago even though not a student there (though I am an alumna).
Zoe
Friday 4 July 2008 7.15am
Colombo Centre will be the cheapest option you can get, but it can be a little busy. They also run some good classes.
Sunday 6 July 2008 10.13pm
The Allwell centre just off Bermondsey Street runs a strength and conditioning programme - bodyweight, kettlebells, sprints etc and, come September, the deadlift. Check it out at http://www.allwellcentre.com. There's no membership fee and you can try out your first session free.
eof
Tuesday 8 July 2008 10.51am
Thanks for all the answers. I noticed that Colombo Centre opens at 7.30am which is probably the time of the day I would be going there. If it's crowded, is it crowded in the morning or mostly when people get home from work?

What is the general condition of the equipment at Colombo Centre i.e. do they work and how quickly do they fix broken stuff (e.g. replace torn cables)? Free weights tend not to brake, but I've seen a few places where the bars have been so rusty that you can't load them with plates without using lots of force... so I'm hoping that's not the case over there?
Tuesday 8 July 2008 5.43pm
The free weights are in good condition, I was a regular until a recent wrist injury. Could do with a few more dumbbell sets as you do tend to have to wait for ones to become available when it's busy, couldn't comment on early morning as I always went after work. Recently had new equipment installed so breakages shouldn't be an issue, though they do tend to be slow in fixing them. I suspect that as a local, council run centre this is probably a financial issue.

The Colombo Centre isn't flash or sexy, but sounds like it'll be what your looking for.

Oh, just one other thing; no coffee machine;)
eof
Tuesday 8 July 2008 7.51pm
Tolstoy wrote:
Oh, just one other thing; no coffee machine;)

Is this supposed to be a problem? :)

ps. thanks for the info
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: