Ben Beber

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 7 July 2008 3.27pm
Looking for a tailors in the area called Ben Baber has anyone heard of them or used them? It seems they may have closed down?

Many thanks
Tuesday 8 July 2008 12.37am
Hi Emer,
the name was Ben Beber and the shop used to be opposite where Tesco's is now (corner of Mina Road and Old Kent Road). I can't remember exactly when they closed, but they've been gone a long time now.
Tuesday 8 July 2008 10.04am
Thank you very much, I can stop the search now! I did think they may have closed but didn't know for sure.

Many thanks!
Tuesday 8 July 2008 11.51am
is there still a tailors in walworth road? opposite cadiz street almost...
Tuesday 8 July 2008 11.54am
they were still open when we moved to SE1 in August 2001, but closed down a few months after that (maybe as much as a year after) - there is now an internet place on the corner (diagonally opposite the Dun Cow - right behind the bus stop).

It's mentioned in 'Do Not Pass Go' by Thomas Moore.
Tuesday 8 July 2008 11.56am
Picture here

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 8 July 2008 12.08pm
so that pic is the original shop, on the north side of OKR, where the Tesco car park now is. Interesting, I never knew what was there before Tesco.
Tuesday 8 July 2008 4.01pm
Jan the old one wrote:
is there still a tailors in walworth road? opposite cadiz street almost...

There's George Dyer, a little bit further up towards E&C than you're suggesting, Jan. Could he be the one? (Excellent tailor, imho, speaking as a satisfied customer.)

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 8 July 2008 4.12pm
That's the one Ivanhoe..:-) my brother always used to go there, and he has a very good reputation...
wonder if he can make a floaty wedding concoction that would make me look halfway decent ( and a size 16 instead of 26!)
Tuesday 8 July 2008 5.29pm
I think it's only suits (not floaty dresses), although I'm sure he might know someone who can....

(He does nice ladies' suits as well)

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: