Con man - Guy's Hospital

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 7 July 2008 3.01pm
About a week ago my other half and I were stopped outside Guy's Hospital by a middle aged man in a blue uniform asking for 4 to release his car as his wife had been suddenly taken to another hospital as he wanted to follow her. Perhaps naively we gave him some change as he seemed desperate.
On Sunday afternoon I saw the same man approach another couple using the same line and asking for money.
Strikes me as an unusual and not very lucrative way to get money out of people. Just want others to be aware that this is likely to be a con should they be similarly approached.
Monday 7 July 2008 3.13pm
I saw a man yesterday outside guy's and it looked like he was aking a group of people for money. He was a middle aged white guy and was holding a bunch of car key's. I couldn't hear what he was saying but it sounds like the same guy.
Monday 7 July 2008 3.17pm
That's the guy. I thought about ringing the police when I saw him again but then again he's probably not doing anything technically illegal.
Monday 7 July 2008 3.24pm
My other half shouted over 'it's a con' but think the people were tourists so they didn't respond, they seem to know who to prey on. Just beware!
Monday 7 July 2008 3.29pm
Might be an idea to tell the nice parking attendant on duty about him.
Monday 7 July 2008 3.32pm
you will find that this chap is quite infamous if you read through some of the past threads!!
Monday 7 July 2008 3.59pm
You should have asked him to show you his car keys first. Or even take you to the car and open it.
Monday 7 July 2008 4.06pm
Infamous indeed!
He's been working that line or similar for at least 10 years.
Monday 7 July 2008 8.54pm
I was 'conned' by this guy three years ago. He really puts you on the spot with his 'my wife's in hospital' routine. Think I gave him a couple of quid. The moment he ran away I knew I had been conned - and I'll tell you why. He was smartly dressed but had really dirty fingers. If you think you're being scammed for money, look at the scammer's hands. In my experience, addicts (of any drug) always have grubby fingers!
Tuesday 8 July 2008 6.13am
I always check out shoes in these situations. People reveal them true selves through their soles!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: