Tabard TMC turmoil

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 25 November 2003 9.17pm
The Tabard Times dropped through the letterbox today, and it makes grim reading. Allegations of ballot fixing in the recent poll, and committee members suspending each other, with no-one knowing who has the authority to make any final decisions.
It seems security guards have been hired to stop committee members interfering with residents files. The whole situation is a complete shambles.
Later the Tabard Gardens Estate News arrived filled with counter allegations. It seems there are two camps competing for control of the TMC. I think it's time for Southwark Council to take control of the situation and audit the accounts and decide who is in control.
I have never been to a TMC meeting, nor taken any interest in the shenanigans of the various committees, but unless Southwark take immediate responsibility, I wouldn't be surprised if the TMC funds end up in a Swiss bank.
The TMC Annual General Meeting takes place on Wed. 26th Nov, 7pm, at St Saviour's & St Olave's School, New Kent Road.
Fireworks expected.
Let's hope London-SE1 has a reporter there to capture the scene.
Wednesday 26 November 2003 3.19pm
I could barely open my front door today for Tabard related blurb pushed through my letter box. Haven't read the allegations in The Tabard Times yet nor the counter allegations in Tabard Gardens Estate News. Was interested to read accusations that members of the TMC were simply shouting too much in the Tabard Voice and the rebuttal and counter claim of 'You're crap and you know you are...' in the West End Final edition of the TMC Standard. Apparently there's an article coming out in the Gardens of Tabard Messenger that goes along the lines of 'Turn around touch the ground, bagsy not it' and a column in the The Tabard Tabard Echo Echo that repeats that sentiment. Tabard Gardens Advertiser is trying to sell the TMC committee as honest as the day is long but the Gardens Estates Gazette is demanding a legal investigation into the fiasco. The Tabard Bugle is blowing for another ballot, Tabard Herald are horrified, Tabard Sun are shining the light on some of the shadier characters, Tabard Star has got an article coming out tonight, Tabard Independent is sitting on the fence, Tabard Crier is ringing the bell for change at the top, Tabard Observer is accusing the TMC accountants of using weapons of maths reduction and the Tabard Argus is ignoring the issue and running a leader on why oil fired cookers are ideal for urban living.

I don't know about you but I'm off to join the People's Front of Judea. A far more professionally run organisation!
Thursday 27 November 2003 5.38pm
Call me a cynic, but this is exactly what can be expected. How can the government think there will be enough professional people to self-manage council property, as has been suggested? There are of course good examples of tenant management, or co-operatives, but anybody who has followed the activities of some tenants' organisations, will know otherwise.

I have to say, I am not totally sure what the structure is with the Tabard, but I would strongly oppose any plans to put any management of my estate into the hands of my most respected neighbours...

Thursday 27 November 2003 6.02pm
I actually voted FOR the TMC in the recent continuation ballot but that was only because as a leaseholder, I feared another organisation (i.e. the highly inefficient Southwark Council) would take over and replace my windows which I can't afford right now. Glad that the Tabard TMC has lived down perfectly to my expectations and I won't be troubled with stumping up cash for new windows before the entire estate is condemned in about 15 years time. No doubt the TMC will still be bickering amongst themselves as the bulldozers roll in!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: