Big grobags = temporary allotment

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 10 July 2008 12.25pm
1/2 tonne grobags 3ft x3ft x3ft used to make temporary allotments as part of London festival of Architecture
http://www.lfa2008.org/event.php?id=57&name=GrowBags%253AUrbanAllotments

...there must be lots of places in SE1 where this could be done
Thursday 10 July 2008 12.37pm
Absolutely! In fact, I identified a perfect space earlier this week - behind the Southwark Council block on the Cut, between the tube station and Hatfields - there is just a derelict square of land begging to be made useful.

I speak as an enthusiastic volunteer at BOST where I am involved in various projects and yes, they know about this initiative and are looking into it, amongst other things.
Thursday 10 July 2008 1.03pm
theres a small set of allotments near me - Tyers st Vauxhall

theres a big derelict school playground(?)on the other side of the road...
they could double their land if they used it

cant find an email unfortunately
Thursday 10 July 2008 1.50pm
Wow! Could be just what we need to put in the soon-to-be-empty parking space outside our flat.

(And for anyone thinking of doing anything similar, the mischevous side of me wonders whether, if you got one of those bags and filled it with earth, it wouldn't weigh too much for anyone who didn't like it to be able to move it without the help of a crane?)

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 10 July 2008 3.12pm
Glyphosate, Ivanhoe, Glyphosate.
Thursday 10 July 2008 3.24pm
Thought crossed my mind, but all that does is kill the greenery. It doesn't shift the bag.

Since seeds are cheap, it won't necessarily cost you a lot to do, and if you look on it as a "bonus" garden, then you won't be too sad if anyone kills it off.

Plus, killing plants is so mean, I'm almost convinced that the God I don't believe in would do something so nasty to whoever did it that I'd derive at least some pleasure from it, whatever happened.

...if you press it, they will come.
Zoe
Thursday 10 July 2008 6.33pm
La Martinet wrote:
Absolutely! In fact, I identified a perfect space earlier this week - behind the Southwark Council block on the Cut, between the tube station and Hatfields - there is just a derelict square of land begging to be made useful.
I speak as an enthusiastic volunteer at BOST where I am involved in various projects and yes, they know about this initiative and are looking into it, amongst other things.

I live in this block and we've been trying to do exactly this for a little while, shall we get together?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: