Thames thing near Blackfriars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 10 July 2008 3.38pm
Does anyone know what that funny boat next to Blackfriars Bridge has been doing for the last few days? It looks like it's putting pilings in the river, but they seem a bit small for a bridge.
Thursday 10 July 2008 3.40pm
They're doing a structural survey of Blackfriars Railway Bridge:
http://www.pla.co.uk/notice2mariners/index.cfm/flag/2/id/3053/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 10 July 2008 4.46pm
Thanks - looks pretty impressive.
Thursday 10 July 2008 8.22pm
Is this a precursor to the works planned for the new Blackfriars Thameslink station spanning the bridge?
Thursday 10 July 2008 8.35pm
reece wrote:
looks pretty impressive.

I thought so too - a very cool looking piece of hardware!
Monday 14 July 2008 5.10pm
TFL (Transport for London) are going to knock down the building next door to Blackfriar Train station for redevelopment(We have been served a Compulsory Purchase Order). This will start in the beginning of August 2008. So I guess it is for the expansion of Blakfriars Station.
Thursday 14 August 2008 8.34am
[threads merged - JH]

Some weeks a go a Seacore adjustable platform appeared in the Thames near Blackfriars bridge. Does any one have any idea what it might be doing there?
Tuesday 11 August 2009 9.23am
I was wondering the same, though I've seen the 'platform' near westminster bridge, and now just west of Vauxhall Bridge:

I think the real answer may be here on the Port of London Authority web site - where it says "On or about 18 May 2009, for a period of about a year, a bore hole survey will be conducted between Beckton and Putney as part of the Thames Water Ltd Tideway Tunnel Project." There's a link to a map there of all the spots.

It seems this thing is called a 'jack up barge' like this one:
Tuesday 11 August 2009 10.11am
When it was at Blackfriars last summer it was for Thameslink-related works, but you're right, it's currently doing investigations for the Tideway tunnel

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3985

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 11 August 2009 1.49pm
Absolutely fascinating stuff James, I would love to know what type of strata they would be going through, and if it's solid rock , if I ask nicely do you think they would give me a core from the bore?
What a difficult task they have on land they would use sheerlegs.

How far are they sinking the bores James my young fount of all knowledge..:-)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: