Concrete classics

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 13 July 2008 10.19pm
The news of a possible revamp of Guy's Tower, reminds me of an idea to run tours of crap architecture in London. Guy's Tower is a nice case of the architecture of intimidation, a giant filing cabinet to sicken and die in, and would be the highlight of a meander starting at the National Theatre. Any suggestions for other landmarks?
Monday 14 July 2008 6.02am
Our bulding, Metro Central Heights, was also a concrete Brutalist Erno Goldfinger building. However, when it was acquired by St.George they bust a gut making sure it did NOT get listed, so that a)they could paint it white and blue which may or may not to to the taste of the purists and b)they could take the open spaces and build on them (viz. the huge Vantage building now nearing completion on our ex parking lot).
Monday 14 July 2008 12.13pm
St Georges Wharf anyone?
Monday 14 July 2008 12.19pm
Jackie do remember that where Vantage is being built only became an open space in the late 80s, although admittedly the cinema was not high-rise like Vantage so did not obstruct the view of the building so much.
Monday 21 July 2008 4.54pm
Cannon Street Bridge!
Monday 21 July 2008 5.01pm
For its size, ugliness and location the repulsive "Guoman" Hotel next to Tower Bridge.
Monday 21 July 2008 5.26pm
I'll drink to that. The Guoman is very ugly indeed. Beyond our borough, another horror is Robin Hood Gardens. It amazes me that people want to save it. One Westminster Bridge was always horrendous, too. Colliers Wood Tower is pretty hard to take, and, closer to home, I'm no fan of the National Theatre.
Monday 21 July 2008 5.44pm
Ah, The Tower Hotel - how did it get planning consent?
Monday 21 July 2008 6.37pm
Allegedly it's okay inside - and obviously a lot of the rooms must have good views.
Tuesday 22 July 2008 8.41am
I know that our parking lot used to be a cinema...which would be quite nice actually. And it was for movies, not for people. THis habit of building slap up against the railway bewilders me. Of course the flats which are going to rattle most will be for key workers and so on (just the thing if you work shifts!), and for the "affordables" ...bloody immoral in my view.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: