Viva Verdi- anyone like live opera?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 14 July 2008 11.06am
I have noticed on SE1 homepage that Viva Verdi is putting on a opera evening Wednesday. I must say that this new bar/restaurant is a welcome admission to SE1.

Myself and my partner ate there on Saturday evening and was most impressed by the italian deli-style platters, great reasonable wine selection and impressive decor.

Has anyone been to any of these live evenings? I think the venue is relatively new?
Monday 14 July 2008 11.58am
I thought the place suffered from a serious lack of atmosphere on my one visit, although the food was good. How are they going to put on an opera evening? I assume this means having a couple of people singing Verdi arias. Sounds like the kind of thing that might just be rather grating.
Monday 14 July 2008 12.03pm
I adore live opera, went to Tosca at Holland Park on Friday to La Boheme at Covent Garden tomorrow, but have a concert on Weds. so couldnt go to this. But am not in such a hurry to hear some exerpts in a restaurant...
Monday 14 July 2008 12.27pm
That was rather my point. I too like opera, but not excerpts while I'm trying to eat.
Monday 14 July 2008 12.34pm
On Friday night they had the opening of "Bankside Mix", whatever that is. Apparently lasted all afternoon and evening, with everything from opera to beatboxing.

When we turned up outside Viva Verdi they had a temporary stage with a sound system, dj and opera singers. Despite the rain there was a crowd, and understandably so as the singers were truly awesome.

Very glad to hear this is going to be repeated!
Monday 14 July 2008 2.41pm
My friend has just checked the website are they closed at week-ends?
Monday 14 July 2008 3.11pm
Yes they are closed on weekends but you can hire the space for private or corporate events it says on the website. I think it should be jolly good fun indeed.
Monday 14 July 2008 3.26pm
...it says on the website.

Calling Inspector Hatts!
Monday 14 July 2008 4.58pm
Tolstoy wrote:
...it says on the website.
Calling Inspector Hatts!

Was my immediate thought on reading the first post..although I'll happily knit my hat if Kimberley turns out to be an unconnected third party with an odd prose style.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 14 July 2008 5.26pm
I actualy have to say i took my second date (not of the evening) there on Friday. We thought it was quite good fun, it made a nice change to hear live opera in the local area. Cheese platter and house red - all good.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: