Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 28 November 2003 4.06am
Yep - I know it's a bit early for the whirly birds - but does anyone know why one was circling around from 3.30am approximately until 4.00am with a searchlight concentrating on the Bricklayers Arms area? now that I am fully awake my nosiness has kicked in..
Friday 28 November 2003 9.16am
Do you know why they are around "normally" Jan (I mean at other, less antisocial times of day)?

I assume they are police, but copters must cost a lot and so I'd have thought they were only for specific operations. But I seem to hear them more and more frequently.

Where do they come from? Is there one on standby for SE1? It certainly seems like it.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 28 November 2003 11.23am
yawwnnn, I wish I knew! I'm sooo bleary eyed today!

I try to remember that they must have a v.good reason for using it at that time of night, and some poor devil's probably been attacked or something, but then I can't get back to sleep for thinking there might be a sadistic killer lurking round the back!
Friday 28 November 2003 11.58am
it was a little Vietnamish this morning I agree....

I went out over the summer onto the balcony when one was around and it picked be up on FLIR (Infa red) and then bathed me in searchlight... I waved.

probably a drugs raid as were no sirens.
Friday 28 November 2003 5.22pm
The biggest and best helicopters were last week when the glorious leader of our biggest ally was in town. There were 2 big, heavily armed helicopters circling round and round SE1 one morning.
Friday 28 November 2003 5.50pm
sometimes think it might be appropriate to arm the met's helicopters.... would make one hell of a tool for crack den raids.
Friday 28 November 2003 7.12pm
Last week I was woken at 8am by no less than eight black hawk helicopters flying along the Thames just by Tower Bridge, taking Bush to Sedgefield for that pub lunch. Must count as the most expensive ploughmans ever..as well as the wierdest way to wake up.

Police state, anyone?

david-b wrote:

> sometimes think it might be appropriate to arm the met's
> helicopters.... would make one hell of a tool for crack den
> raids.
Monday 1 December 2003 10.04am
Black Hawk Down part 2 in Shad Thames....
Monday 1 December 2003 11.52am
I've been severely irritated by a police helicopter which used to hover very noisily on Sunday afternoons. I would only notice it during the summer when the windows were open, I don't know if it does a Sunday service at present.
Monday 1 December 2003 3.54pm
Does anyone know:

- whether they are definitely police copters?
- where they come from?
- whether they are only out in special cases, or whether we have a fleet (right word?) patrolling our skies on the off chance?

(- and does anyone know how many policemen's salaries it takes to buy, run and maintain one copter?)

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: