Trees

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 16 July 2008 7.01am
Does southwark have a website where all the trees it maintains are listed? I mean varieties?

And does anyone know the name of the tree in Grange Road near the bustop near the alaska building, it looks like ones you seen in spain, dark greem thick leaves..
about 12 foot or so high.
I wish Southwark would name tag all the trees in their parks, or failing that a central noticeboard identifying trees that grow there.would make a good school project for nature study.
Wednesday 16 July 2008 8.31am
Hi Jan

You can identify the tree yourself from its leaves.

Check this site out
Wednesday 16 July 2008 9.41am
If it is a Transport for London road it would be their tree (if it's on the pavement or verge).
Wednesday 16 July 2008 9.54am
Is it a tree of heaven? Very strongly sweetly scented yellow/green flowers at this time of year?

Or an Indian Bean Tree (large specimen towards the far end of Crimscott St away from Grange Road) which has even more strongly sweet white flowers, large leaves and fruit which looks like long bean pods (hence the name).

There's a really good tree trail in Burgess Park - inter alia a mulberry which has delicious fruits!
Wednesday 16 July 2008 11.22am
Colino, the tree with the dark fleshy leaves looks like its in the front of a house, and mapmaker you must be pyschic i always called that the runner bean tree! nice to have the real name..:-)
Wednesday 16 July 2008 5.07pm
Jan, if you mean the tree in the front garden of 53 Grange Road,

it is a magnolia. It is an evergreen magnolia, so very different to the deciduous magnolia (of which there is a spectacular selection of recently planted specimens in the part of town between East St and Surrey square - SE17, sorry).

Edited to say evergreen magnolias flower too, but pretty much all year round. That specimen, however, I have never seen flowering.
Monday 28 July 2008 6.38am
Your right Mapmaker, thats the one, I ambled by yesterday..:-) I was convinced that was the one that gave fruit similar to Spain.
Slightly veering off trees, in Gloucestershire a childrens nursery has set up a mini allotment for the children to grow their own lunch..what a shame the children of Southwark were not given opportunity to do the same, to learn the love of nature and excercise at the same time. (BBC news today)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: