The best restaurant in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 13
Wednesday 16 July 2008 3.51pm
Following mutterings on this subject on another thread, I'd be interested in hearing other folks' views on this one.

In my opinion the prime contenders include The Anchor and Hope, Tentazioni, The Garrison and Magdalen. At the less expensive end of things, I really think an honourable mention is due to Cafe Nawaz. But what am I missing?

Clearly, "best" is open to interpretation. Best for what? Perhaps I should rephrase the question: "What's your favourite place to eat, and why?"
Wednesday 16 July 2008 4.40pm
(As a happy mutterer), I'd say:

Blueprint Cafe (For special occasions. Lovely food, great views, decently priced offers for e.g. Sunday Lunch, so it needn't be that expensive if you can show a bit of discipline)

Tate Modern (Again, not for everyday, but good food, views, and "buzziness")

Leon (I know it's a chain, but it works well for me)

Taz on ?Isabella St? - the one with the terrace garden behind Sthk tube (for cheap meze and the garden setting)

The Royal Oak (need one say more?)

And just outside SE1:

Poppy Hana (cheap and cheerful Japanese. I could eat there every day)
Lobster Pot on Kennington Rd (unique atmosphere, family run, great fish)

Where I've yet to go, but have heard good things about:

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 16 July 2008 4.45pm
The Lobster Pot is indeed good. And the atmosphere is certainly unusual!
Wednesday 16 July 2008 4.45pm
"Bar food" at Pont de la Tour, great quality at a better price than the restaurant. Plus I've loved the food at the Blueprint Cafe and Delfina. Best meal I"ve had in SE1 was "Anchor and Hope" but worst for queue and service! So the bar food at Pont de la Tour wins it for me! Haven't tried Magdelen yet but reviews make it look a contender. We are spoilt for choice in SE1!
Wednesday 16 July 2008 5.31pm
Lye Torng - great simple thai food in nice bar atmosphere.
Arancia - lovely mediteranean food, a bit pricey, but ok if you go on a Times, special offer 10 menu thing.
Royal Oak - for Sunday roast, great puddings.
Fishcotheque (sp?) - best F&C i've had in SE1.
Wednesday 16 July 2008 5.40pm
Champor Champor. I love it because it is so utterly unusual.

Pont de la Tour is definitely excellent, but who goes there unless on an expense account?

Anchor & Hope isn't a nice dining experience. The wait; the noise.

Tas on the Cut is so noisy it is horrid.
Wednesday 16 July 2008 5.49pm
I certainly know what you mean, Mapmaker, about the A&H not being a particularly pleasant experience. But the food is very good.
Wednesday 16 July 2008 5.58pm
Skylon is fab for special (or expense account) occasaions

La Lanterna in Mill Street lovely and great value

Laughing Gravy on Blackfriars Road used to be good for unusual fare, haven't been in ages - not sure if it is even still there

Arancia, right on the SE1 border with SE16 (and fortuitiously terribly close to my house) is really terribly good
Wednesday 16 July 2008 6.01pm
Hmmm Skylon & La Laneterna didn't link :-S
Wednesday 16 July 2008 6.36pm
Laughing Gravy was there a few months ago. I know because I went there - quite by chance. Nothing special, but inexpensive.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: